Register to reply

Could the universe be a giant spinning teacups ride?

by tinypositrons
Tags: giant, ride, spinning, teacups, universe
Share this thread:
tinypositrons
Jan26-14, 05:48 PM
P: 28
Moons orbit planets. Planets orbit stars. Stars sometimes orbit other stars. Stars orbit galactic centres. How to we know galaxies aren't orbiting super super super massive black holes or something along those lines. And it continues. How do we know this chain is not infinite?

Thanks bros
Fin
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Exoplanet measured with remarkable precision
New star catalog reveals unexpected 'solar salad'
RXTE satellite decodes the rhythm of an unusual black hole
phinds
Jan26-14, 05:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,274
Quote Quote by tinypositrons View Post
Moons orbit planets. Planets orbit stars. Stars sometimes orbit other stars. Stars orbit galactic centres. How to we know galaxies aren't orbiting super super super massive black holes or something along those lines. And it continues. How do we know this chain is not infinite?

Thanks bros
Fin
Because it would imply a center around which everything rotates and there is no such center.

Also, are you aware that galaxies rotate in all different orientations relative to the disk of the Milky Way?
tinypositrons
Jan26-14, 05:57 PM
P: 28
I vaguely understand what you mean, and need to say I don't nessercarily agree with what I have said, I am simply putting it forward to be criticised.

phinds
Jan26-14, 06:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,274
Could the universe be a giant spinning teacups ride?

Quote Quote by tinypositrons View Post
I vaguely understand what you mean, and need to say I don't nessercarily agree with what I have said, I am simply putting it forward to be criticised.
The question of a rotating universe has been addressed here several times, always shot down quickly.

What do you not understand about my post?

Register to reply