Register to reply

Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

by kevin_tee
Tags: contact, expand, material, water
Share this thread:
kevin_tee
Jan28-14, 02:50 AM
P: 57
Are there any material that contact with water and expand? I can think of sodium polyacrylate, but I can't use it. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
A new synthetic amino acid for an emerging class of drugs
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Dadface
Jan28-14, 03:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I dont know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.
kevin_tee
Jan28-14, 05:17 AM
Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I dont know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.
I think the soggy jelly that you mention is SAP(Super absorbent polymer) which is sodium polyacrylate that I mention, but I can't use it. Basically I need a material that significantly increase in volume when hydrate or being stimulate. Thanks.

Dadface
Jan28-14, 05:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

I'm guessing there are safety issues with SAP. How about dehydrated foodstuffs? If powdered these can probably rehydrate in a short time.
Borek
Jan28-14, 05:41 AM
Admin
P: 23,592
Starch.
epenguin
Jan28-14, 06:39 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,987
There are these polysaccharide powders used for gel permeation chromatography (separation on a molar mass basis) sold under the name Sephadex, they swell 10 or more times in volume on adding water.
kevin_tee
Jan28-14, 07:00 PM
Thanks for every answers.
DrDu
Jan29-14, 01:04 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
Gypsum
mesa
Jan29-14, 10:54 AM
P: 553
Polyacrylamide and bentonite clays (sodium bentonite in particular). They are pretty swell :)

Register to reply