Register to reply

Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

by kevin_tee
Tags: contact, expand, material, water
Share this thread:
kevin_tee
Jan28-14, 02:50 AM
P: 57
Are there any material that contact with water and expand? I can think of sodium polyacrylate, but I can't use it. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Novel 'butterfly' molecule could build new sensors, photoenergy conversion devices
Rubber meets the road with new ORNL carbon, battery technologies
Breaking benzene
Dadface
Jan28-14, 03:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I dont know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.
kevin_tee
Jan28-14, 05:17 AM
Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I dont know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.
I think the soggy jelly that you mention is SAP(Super absorbent polymer) which is sodium polyacrylate that I mention, but I can't use it. Basically I need a material that significantly increase in volume when hydrate or being stimulate. Thanks.

Dadface
Jan28-14, 05:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

I'm guessing there are safety issues with SAP. How about dehydrated foodstuffs? If powdered these can probably rehydrate in a short time.
Borek
Jan28-14, 05:41 AM
Admin
P: 23,574
Starch.
epenguin
Jan28-14, 06:39 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,985
There are these polysaccharide powders used for gel permeation chromatography (separation on a molar mass basis) sold under the name Sephadex, they swell 10 or more times in volume on adding water.
kevin_tee
Jan28-14, 07:00 PM
Thanks for every answers.
DrDu
Jan29-14, 01:04 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
Gypsum
mesa
Jan29-14, 10:54 AM
P: 553
Polyacrylamide and bentonite clays (sodium bentonite in particular). They are pretty swell :)

Register to reply