Register to reply

Proper material for electrolytic cell?

by mesa
Tags: cell, electrolytic, material, proper
Share this thread:
mesa
Jan28-14, 09:17 PM
P: 509
We are considering recovering the silver out of our waste fix solution from the photo labs on campus.

What is the best (reasonably acquired) material (as in non-platinum) for the cathode/anode?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists eye improved thin films with metal substitution
Essential oils may provide good source of food preservation
Artificial skin flexes when it comes into contact with a solvent vapour
kevin_tee
Jan29-14, 12:43 AM
P: 53
For electrolysis of water stainless steel is very good, but I don't know about recovering silver.
mesa
Jan29-14, 10:57 AM
Quote Quote by kevin_tee View Post
For electrolysis of water stainless steel is very good, but I don't know about recovering silver.
Stainless seems to be the best bang for the buck for this as well. Anyone else have something to add or does this seem like the most reasonable choice?

Borek
Jan29-14, 11:53 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
Proper material for electrolytic cell?

I wonder if silver itself would not do the trick. It is inert enough for many applications, and in case it dissolves it will just reappear on the cathode.
mesa
Jan30-14, 08:42 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
I wonder if silver itself would not do the trick. It is inert enough for many applications, and in case it dissolves it will just reappear on the cathode.
Silver would probably work and we could reverse the cathode/anode configuration to keep the plates 'even' but the material is expensive and could be difficult to find in plates, as in it is likely not available on campus in on of our scrap piles :)

Register to reply