SEM Project Ideas for Undergrad

by lunaskye0
Tags: ideas, project, undergrad
lunaskye0
Jan30-14, 05:03 PM
P: 11
Hey Forum,

So I am in my final semester in my undergraduate program for Biology. I am going into bioimaging field of study, so I took on a research elective utilizing a scanning electron microscope.

I am also taking a one credit directed study in microbiology which is used to combine and substitute for another course in order for my graduate.

While others who are doing an SEM project can choose to do a project on any topic, I am to relate my SEM to microbiology. Kind of hard because its not really my favorite subject.

I was hoping to get some ideas of what I can do research on (keeping in mind this is undergraduate level).

My micro professor has suggested something about testing microbes against drug treatments. Honestly, it had been a while since I actually took microbiology I was a little daunted by the terminology.

I feel a little lost. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Stanford researchers rethink 'natural' habitat for wildlife
Plants with dormant seeds give rise to more species
gravenewworld
Jan30-14, 05:40 PM
P: 1,389
Feed microbes fats at different concentrations as well as fat metabolic inhibitors (if they exist). Image them for membrane morphological changes.

The point here is that lipids are an essential part of the LPS that causes human immune response and septic shock. Lipid metabolism and incorporation into LPS structures or lipid bilayers that make up the cellular membrane, unlike proteins with their DNA templates, have no code to control for it. Lipid metabolic networks then have to essentially respond to extracellular environment and nutrients. Also, bacteria are used as overexpression systems for things like membrane proteins. Unfortunately, when you try to overexpress membrane proteins in cellular systems, proteins aggregate, don't fold properly, yadda yadda. You can make a yeast or bacteria produce almost any protein you want, however, a bottleneck is that cell membranes have capacity limits. Maybe if we better understand how bacteria could possibly grow based on environments with different lipid content, you could optimize the environment for bacterial expression systems to produce to create the largest possible membrane surface area for membrane proteins, which would help maximize your yields of properly folded membrane proteins.

Lots of ideas.
.Scott
Jan30-14, 05:49 PM
P: 420
Microtubules are the recent rage. If I was looking at a cell with a SEM, I'd be happy just to get one of those things roughly centered in my image.
Perhaps you should measure the energy required to break a microtubule under different stress configurations.

Register to reply