Register to reply

Best Telescope for under 1400$.

by themadquark
Tags: 1400$, telescope
Share this thread:
themadquark
Feb1-14, 11:54 AM
P: 19
Due to my interest in astrophysics, I have decided to consider purchasing a telescope. I am looking for something under 1.4k that would allow viewing of Jupiter, the moon, Saturn, venus transit, and deep space objects such as the Orion Nebula, Crab Nebula and possibly M-27, M-51, Triangulum, lagoon nebula, etc. http://www.telescope.com/Orion-10-f3...e/p/99602.utsp

I also understand the basics of focal length, etc. I am wondering what is the recommendation for good planetary viewing and very good deep space viewing (Nebulae, etc.).
I've also read from here: https://www.astronomics.com/what-can...lescope_t.aspx That a 10" or larger would enable me to see detail on Jupiter, Saturn, The moon, and see distant Nebulae and certain galaxies and such with quite good detail. Can anybody recommend the best scope for me?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
adjacent
Feb1-14, 12:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,489
We're Sorry...
The page you requested cannot be found.

Maybe it was mistakenly sent to the galaxy shown in the Hubble photo to the right. Probably lost forever.
themadquark
Feb1-14, 12:13 PM
That was a mess up on my part. It should work now. For whatever reason no links to that site work on PF.
Edit: A search for Orion 10" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph Reflector Telescope should work. The pictures seen there are the quality I wish to have, could anybody confirm whether those pictures are even legitimate? And how much colour would I expect to see? I understand the images were taken with CCDs, but I hear if your aperture size is high enough you can see some colour in more distant objects.

turbo
Feb1-14, 12:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Best Telescope for under 1400$.

@OP, remember that if you want to watch Venus transit the Sun, you will have to budget for a decent solar filter, and once you get up around 10" in aperture, they can get pricey, unless you stick with mylar, and those are delicate.
themadquark
Feb1-14, 12:25 PM
I do understand that when I purchase the scope, I will need to purchase things such as solar filters and other accessories, but I need a recommendation of which scope would be best for generally quite good planetary and deep space viewing.
glappkaeft
Feb1-14, 12:44 PM
P: 82
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
@OP, remember that if you want to watch Venus transit the Sun, you will have to budget for a decent solar filter,
You'd also have to wait until 2117...

The scope the OP mention would definitely work for the listed purposes but it looks like it costs $1,949.99 with a suitable mount. It is also a rather large and heavy (60+ kg) telescope that is surprisingly hard to transport. The best advice I can give is to talk with local amateur astronomers and if possible attend one of their star parties. That will give a much better idea of which telescope you want than any internet discussion.
glappkaeft
Feb1-14, 12:59 PM
Quote Quote by themadquark View Post
That was a mess up on my part. It should work now. For whatever reason no links to that site work on PF.
The pictures seen there are the quality I wish to have, could anybody confirm whether those pictures are even legitimate? And how much colour would I expect to see? I understand the images were taken with CCDs, but I hear if your aperture size is high enough you can see some colour in more distant objects.
Well they are legitimate images taken with CCDs and hours of exposure but that has almost nothing to do with what the human eye can register looking through an eye piece. Except stars and planets only a few deep sky objects have enough surface brightness to trigger our colour vision. All of them appear blue-green since the human colour vision is most sensitive there.

The M33 galaxy featured on the web page will look more like this in a telescope but even that would require some experience as an observer and dark skies.
Drakkith
Feb1-14, 02:29 PM
Mentor
P: 11,838
The pictures seen there are the quality I wish to have, could anybody confirm whether those pictures are even legitimate? And how much colour would I expect to see? I understand the images were taken with CCDs, but I hear if your aperture size is high enough you can see some colour in more distant objects.
You will see next to no color with any reasonably sized telescope you could purchase. At best everything but the planets will be "faint fuzzies" you can barely make out. In the age of digital imaging, visual observing is fairly underwhelming in my opinion. Though some people believe otherwise.
tfr000
Feb1-14, 02:42 PM
P: 127
Yes, I agree that you should not expect to see nebulae and galaxies as dramatically as photos. For instance... a great observing accomplishment is observing one or more dark lanes in M31 - not any detail or anything, just the fact that you can see them at all with your eye. For many "deep sky" objects, that is the goal - seeing them at all.
Planets look pretty good, but the detail comes in short bursts in-between minutes of swirly, fuzzy (Earth's) atmosphere.
Take a look at some of the drawings here http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...oard/Sketching to see what can be done visually.
Chrispen Evan
Feb1-14, 04:13 PM
P: 9
a friend has a 10" goto dobsonian with a mount for a generic slr digital camera. computer program to stack images. that cost around ~$1500AUS with some eyepieces, camera is extra.

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatche...telescope.html $1,719.95AUS

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/...3/p/102020.uts $1,299.99US

gives you some idea.
themadquark
Feb1-14, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info all who helped.

Quote Quote by Chrispen Evan View Post
a friend has a 10" goto dobsonian with a mount for a generic slr digital camera. computer program to stack images. that cost around ~$1500AUS with some eyepieces, camera is extra.

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatche...telescope.html $1,719.95AUS

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/...3/p/102020.uts $1,299.99US

gives you some idea.
I plan to buy this scope (1300$), a cheap DSLR camera (~500$), and find some sort of program for photo stacking, if anybody has any further recommendations for cameras or stacking programs that would be great. Overall, I think this is what I will likely use, thanks for the help everybody.
davenn
Feb1-14, 08:48 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,600
and find some sort of program for photo stacking,
hi there

deep sky stacker is one of the most common ones used and best of all its free

yup you have missed out on the Venus transits, the last one was June last year and as said next isnt till 2117
I doubt any of us reading this today will be around for that one

BUT

there are several Mercury transits to look forward to

Transits of Mercury

Transit Contact Times (UT)
------------------------------------- Minimum Sun Sun Transit
Date I II Greatest III IV Sep. RA Dec GST Series
h:m h:m h:m h:m h:m " h h

2016 May 09 11:12 11:15 14:57 18:39 18:42 318.5 3.130 17.58 15.190 7
2019 Nov 11 12:35 12:37 15:20 18:02 18:04 75.9 15.098 -17.45 3.366 6
2032 Nov 13 06:41 06:43 08:54 11:05 11:07 572.1 15.274 -18.14 3.535 4

cheers
Dave

Dave
glappkaeft
Feb2-14, 08:54 AM

I plan to buy this scope (1300$), a cheap DSLR camera (~500$), and find some sort of program for photo stacking, if anybody has any further recommendations for cameras or stacking programs that would be great. Overall, I think this is what I will likely use, thanks for the help everybody.
Note that the Dobson is a type of Altimuth-Azimuth mounted telescope that is inherently limited when it comes to astrophotography due to field rotation. If you are thinking about astrophotography I strongly advise you to first buy and read Covingtons "DSLR astrophotography" or Steve Richards "Making every photon count". It will save you both time and money.
russ_watters
Feb2-14, 09:34 AM
Mentor
P: 22,287

That telescope/mount is not suitable for deep sky astrophotography. Though it tracks objects through the sky, it does not rotate with the celestial sphere. For that you need an equatorial mount. Such as this one:
http://www.telescope.com/mobileProdu.../343/24729.uts

[Edit: oops, beaten to it!]
Chronos
Feb2-14, 08:12 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,435
I would avoid going bigger than 8" to start with. That is pretty much the high water mark for mounts and handling. Bigger scopes require beefy mounts and handle with the grace of a greased pig. For practical advice on scopes and accessories I suggest cloudy nights. For astrophotography, APT is excellent and inexpensive. There's even a free demo version - http://ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx.
whirlpoolm51
Feb2-14, 09:11 PM
P: 5
If you main interest is in visual observing I suggest something around 10 to 12". Orion makes very good dobsonians with DSC ( digital setting circles) that allow you to locate thousands of objects at the push of a button. You just type in or look up an object in the handset and then push the scope in alt and az until the coordinates reach zero. The orion 12" xti was the first big scope I ever owned and it was amazing!!!

Now if you going to be getting into astrophotography I suggest meade or celestrons SCT scopes on their high quality EQ mounts. The celestron 8" SCT on their CGX mount is a good scope for photography and visual.

Also you do not need a ccd camera to start with because you can take amazing pics with just a good dslr camera like canons eos rebel series
Chronos
Feb6-14, 10:54 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,435
Affirmed, a CCD is a waste of money until you have mastered DSLR astrophotography. The only advantage of a CCD is lower thermal noise and somewhat better pixel density - but, comes at a hefty price. It's about as practical as buying your kid a Ferrari for their sixteenth birthday. I have a Meade 8" SCT, it is fun and portable - even somewhat useful for AP. I also have a Meade 10" f/4 SNT. It is heavy, awkward, seriously under mounted, and barely adequate for visual use. Both were approximately the same price. A telescope you dread to use is called a mistake.
Drakkith
Feb6-14, 11:45 PM
Mentor
P: 11,838
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Affirmed, a CCD is a waste of money until you have mastered DSLR astrophotography.
I'm not sure I agree with this.

Register to reply