Cooling 2 kettles - will this work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of two kettles containing a boiling aqueous solution that need to be cooled to room temperature as quickly as possible. However, there is only one pump and one cooling coil available. The group wonders if the second kettle will fill up and if the increased "head" will allow for more liquid to flow to the first kettle, equalizing the height of the liquids in both kettles. They also discuss the possibility of mixing the liquids and the functionality of the pump and cooling coil. Ultimately, it is determined that in this setup, there would
Octavius
Brew kettles.jpg

The two kettles contain a boiling aqueous solution. They must be cooled to room temp as fast as possible (otherwise adverse chemical reactions will take place). Only one pump and one cooling coil are available.

It would seem the second kettle would fill up. However, would the increased "head" then allow more of the liquid from this kettle to flow to the tee, at the expense of the liquid from the first kettle? Thus equalizing the height of liquids in the two kettles.

Engineering news on Phys.org
They must be cooled to room temp as fast as possible (otherwise adverse chemical reactions will take place).
How to weight cooling stuff in kettle 1 versus cooling stuff in kettle 2?

Only one pump and one cooling coil are available.
Does that mean you can mix the liquids without any issues?
If not, what does the pump do?

Is the cooling coil connected to anything? Can you move it between the kettles?

It would seem the second kettle would fill up. However, would the increased "head" then allow more of the liquid from this kettle to flow to the tee, at the expense of the liquid from the first kettle?
Where is the point in the exit of the second kettle? Can you close it?

Thus equalizing the height of liquids in the two kettles.
If the setup is completely symmetric... could happen.

Sorry for the confusion.
The liquids are the same.
The cooling coil has water in and out (just didn't show it in the diagram).
Cooling coil is too heavy to move.
No exit in second kettle.
Setup is symmetrical.

I'm trying to cool both pots at the same time - I was hoping there would be sufficient exchange between the pots to accomplish this.

I thought it would be interesting (from a theoretical position) - will the second pot fill up or will the levels remain the same? If they remain the same will there be sufficient movement from pot to pot?

Thanks!

Can you move the pump exit? Otherwise I don't see how you want to cool kettle 1. Where would an exchange come from?
I thought it would be interesting (from a theoretical position) - will the second pot fill up or will the levels remain the same? If they remain the same will there be sufficient movement from pot to pot?
In your setup, if both valves are open, I think you pump some (probably small) amount of liquid from kettle 1 to kettle 2 until the system is in equilibrium (the pressure drop in the pipe cancels the pressure difference between the kettles), afterwards you are just circulating liquid in kettle 2.

Hmm, OK.
Back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the input!

Octavius said:
Sorry for the confusion.
The liquids are the same.
The cooling coil has water in and out (just didn't show it in the diagram).
Cooling coil is too heavy to move.
No exit in second kettle.
Setup is symmetrical.

I'm trying to cool both pots at the same time - I was hoping there would be sufficient exchange between the pots to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Levels would be the same. Think of Bernoulli

1. Can I cool two kettles at the same time?

Yes, you can cool two kettles at the same time. However, the cooling time may be longer and the efficiency may be reduced compared to cooling only one kettle.

2. What is the best method for cooling two kettles simultaneously?

The best method for cooling two kettles simultaneously would be to use a larger cooling vessel that can accommodate both kettles at once. This will ensure that the kettles are cooled evenly and efficiently.

3. How long will it take to cool two kettles?

The cooling time will depend on the size and material of the kettles, as well as the method used for cooling. It may take longer to cool two kettles compared to one, but it can typically be done within a reasonable amount of time.

4. Will cooling two kettles at the same time affect the temperature of the cooling liquid?

Yes, cooling two kettles at the same time will affect the temperature of the cooling liquid. The more kettles that are being cooled, the more the temperature of the cooling liquid will be affected. It is important to monitor the temperature and adjust accordingly.

5. Is it safe to cool two kettles at once?

Yes, it is safe to cool two kettles at once as long as proper precautions are taken. Make sure the cooling vessel is stable and that the kettles are securely placed inside. Also, be cautious when handling hot kettles and hot liquids during the cooling process.