How does an anal fissure cause the anal sphincter to spasm?

by bluemoonKY
Tags: anal, fissure, spasm, sphincter
bluemoonKY
Feb2-14, 12:03 PM
P: 33
I have an anal fissure. When I have a bowel movement, I don't feel any pain while I'm having the bowel movement or even a few minutes later. I start to feel pain about 30 minutes after the bowel movement. I have researched this on the internet, and I have discovered that my delayed pain after a bowel movement is a result of my anal sphincter spasming. This delayed pain after a bowel movement as a result of anal sphincter spasms is apparently fairly common with anal fissures.

What I don't understand is why would a bowel movement cause the anal sphincter to spasm.

When a person has an anal fissure, why does his or her anal sphincter spasm after a bowel movement?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Sprifermin offers benefit for cartilage loss from knee osteoarthritis
Distracted driving among teens threatens public health and safety
Key milestone for brown fat research with a ground-breaking MRI scan
prashant
Feb6-14, 11:42 AM
P: 2
The spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphinters,that is a part of reflex arc,due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm.This is a protective reflex,infact dre and proctoscopy is contraindicated in this medical condition.
bluemoonKY
Feb22-14, 08:08 PM
prasant, you started "the spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphincters." Well, yeah, a spasm is a contraction. That does not explain anything to me. Then you said the contraction of sphincters is part of a reflex arc, due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. What in the nation does that mean?

bluemoonKY
Feb22-14, 08:08 PM

How does an anal fissure cause the anal sphincter to spasm?

What is a reflex arc?
boit
Mar5-14, 11:15 AM
P: 41
Quote Quote by bluemoonKY View Post
What is a reflex arc?

We think all actions are results from signals send from the brain. That's not always the case. Other originate from the spinal cord. A reflex is purely mediated through the spinal cord.
boit
Mar5-14, 10:22 PM
P: 41
Quote Quote by bluemoonKY View Post
prasant, you started "the spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphincters." Well, yeah, a spasm is a contraction. That does not explain anything to me. Then you said the contraction of sphincters is part of a reflex arc, due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. What in the nation does that mean?

It means that if I suffer brain death, my anal sphincter will still suffer spasm whenever I have bowel motions or when a doctor does a digital rectal exam on me. I won't feel the pain though cause I'll be brain dead remember? :)

Register to reply