Using RF Transmitter/Receiver to power LEDs from a Sensor?

by SeanLynch91
Tags: led light, leds, power, radio frequency, receiver, sensor, transmitter
SeanLynch91
Feb4-14, 11:34 AM
P: 2
I have a pressure sensor that gives off 4 volts when actuated and I would like to transmit it a distance to an LED light. So I found these RF Link Transmitter/Receiver at 434MHz:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10532

The data sheets and instructions Iíve read all suggest a microcontroller. What Iím asking is this:
For the transmitter side of my project (sensor that gives off 4V), could I use something other than a microcontroller to convert the 4V to send through the transmitter?

I do have an Arduino Yun that I could use for the receiver side, but lets say I didnít have an Arduino, what would I be able to use to convert the data from the receiver?

I donít have much experience with wireless transmission and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
thankz
Feb4-14, 11:41 AM
P: 24
you could use a uart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...er/transmitter
sophiecentaur
Feb4-14, 03:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,352
Can we get this straight? Are you wanting to send a signal to a receiver that will turn on the LEDs or are you wanting to transmit the Power across a gap to provide the power to light them? It makes a vast difference and you use the word 'Power' in the title so we need to be sure what you want to do.

SeanLynch91
Feb4-14, 03:45 PM
P: 2

Using RF Transmitter/Receiver to power LEDs from a Sensor?

Sorry about the confusion. Here's the plan: I want to be able to light an LED when an object is on the sensor. The sensor gives off 4 volts when it is triggered then I would feed that into the transmitter, transmit that signal to the receiver so whenever that sensor is actuated an LED will light up. So I'm trying to send a signal to the receiver that will turn on an LED.
sophiecentaur
Feb4-14, 04:01 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,352
For simple signalling, those devices should work, at a basic level. I managed to look at the transmitter data sheet but the site was busy or down and I couldn't see the receiver spec.
As far as I can see, the transmitter is Amplitude Shift Keyed (i.e. On/Off signalling) which you can do with 0 or 5V from your sensor. Likewise for the receiver should give 0 or 5V, depending on the received signal level. At the price, they would be worth just buying and trying. I don't think the processor is a necessary for just a simple one channel on/off control. (Using the 'digital' output).

Register to reply