Replacing a new compressor

• Thread starter P@ul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressor
In summary, the individual is looking to replace an old compressor with a new one and needs to calculate all the necessary information in order to convince others of the smart choice. They have temperature/pressure readings at various spots and have calculated the cop and efficiency of the compressor at those temperatures. They are concerned about making sure the compression ratio of the new compressor will work in the unit and do not want to over compress it. They are seeking advice on where to start and what information they can confidently rely on for the new compressor.
P@ul
Hello to everyone that reads this,

I have to replace an old compressor with a new one. The trick is that i need to calculate the everything about the new one before i put it in. So i can convince everyone that it's a smart choice. The vapor compression cycle will remain the same, will still utilize the evaporator, condenser and old valve. I have temperature/pressure readings at all of those spots. From that I've determined the cop throughout the cycle at various temperatures/pressures. Now i need to make sure that compression ratio of my new compressor will work in the that unit! How do i go about that? I've also calculated the efficiency of the compressor at all of those temperatures. I don't want to over shoot it and compress it to much before the condenser and then it'll be in the sub cooled region, which would make it useless, i think. So point being, anyone know where i should start and what i can set in stone with this new compressor

Thanks guys

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

This is an odd request. Typically a compressor replacement is pulled straight out of a catalog or selected by a sales engineer - there isn't anything for the purchaser to calculate.

Do you have the make and model of the existing condenser and its compressor?

What is a compressor and what does it do?

A compressor is a mechanical device that is used to increase the pressure of a gas in order to store energy or move the gas through a system. In the context of air conditioning and refrigeration systems, a compressor is responsible for compressing refrigerant gas, which then circulates through the system, removing heat from the space and cooling it down.

When should a compressor be replaced?

A compressor should be replaced when it is no longer functioning properly, which can manifest in a few different ways. These include unusual noises coming from the compressor, failure to cool the space to the desired temperature, and high energy bills. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to have a professional inspect the compressor and determine if it needs to be replaced.

What factors should be considered when selecting a new compressor?

When selecting a new compressor, there are a few factors that should be taken into consideration. These include the size and type of the unit, the compatibility with the existing system, and the energy efficiency rating. It is also important to choose a reputable brand and ensure that the compressor comes with a warranty for added protection.

Can a new compressor be installed in an old system?

In most cases, a new compressor can be installed in an old system. However, it is important to make sure that the new compressor is compatible with the existing system. This includes checking for similar power and cooling capacity, as well as ensuring that the refrigerant used is the same. It is best to consult with a professional before making any changes to the system.

What is the process for replacing a new compressor?

The process for replacing a new compressor involves several steps. First, the old compressor will need to be removed and any remaining refrigerant will need to be properly disposed of. The new compressor will then be installed and connected to the system. Once everything is in place, the system will need to be tested to ensure proper functioning and safety. It is important to have a trained professional handle this process to ensure a successful replacement.