Bounds on the chemical potential of electrons

by Useful nucleus
Tags: bounds, chemical, electrons, potential
Useful nucleus
Feb7-14, 03:47 AM
P: 240
In a semiconductor, is the chemical potential of electrons limited to take values only between the valence band maximum and conduction band minimum? Are there circumstances where it can cross these bounds?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Atomic switcheroo explains origins of thin-film solar cell mystery
X-ray laser experiment explores how specially shocked material gets stronger
DrDu
Feb7-14, 09:36 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,376
It probably depends on how you define a semiconductor. Even a band structure is just a theoretical construct which does not correspond to a measurable quantity. I think there are substances whose resistance decreases with temperature and are thus semiconductors which are not well described in terms of a band structure.
Useful nucleus
Feb7-14, 10:41 AM
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
It probably depends on how you define a semiconductor. Even a band structure is just a theoretical construct which does not correspond to a measurable quantity. I think there are substances whose resistance decreases with temperature and are thus semiconductors which are not well described in terms of a band structure.
Do you happen to recall an example or a paper discussing this issue?

DrDu
Feb7-14, 03:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,376

Bounds on the chemical potential of electrons

No, but I had in mind Landaus- Fermi Liquid theory and some work of W. Kohn from 1964 where he tries to work out what fundamentally makes up a metal.
Useful nucleus
Feb7-14, 08:44 PM
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
No, but I had in mind Landaus- Fermi Liquid theory and some work of W. Kohn from 1964 where he tries to work out what fundamentally makes up a metal.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, DrDu!

Register to reply