Register to reply

Data rate formula

by oneamp
Tags: data, formula, rate
Share this thread:
oneamp
Feb8-14, 08:54 AM
P: 222
I am trying to come up with a good data-rate formula for a system. The system sends out 'x' symbols per transaction. The transactions take place sequentially, but there is a delay 'z' between them. 'z' is variable and can even be pseudo-random. Also each transaction takes a time as well, but that time is constant.

I tried to derive a formula for symbols sent by a time 't' (in seconds): sent_t = ts(transactions/second) - zt, but that didn't quite work out. Where can I go from here?

Since 'z' can be random, I can either make 'z' constant for the formula, or make the formula an average data-rate...

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
Autonomy expert led team in developing "self-flying planes"
sophiecentaur
Feb8-14, 09:46 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,238
You seem to be talking about the effects of Phase Noise or Jitter, on error rate here. I Googled those terms and there were loads of hits. Trawl through a few of them a see if anything suits your 'level'. That could be more efficient for you, initially. You could then come back with some more specific queries.
meBigGuy
Feb8-14, 04:24 PM
P: 1,084
lets call the delay time Tz, the packet time Tp and the number of packets n

For convienience assume there are an equal number of packets and delays (you can delete the last Tz if you want).

Since every Tz is unique you need to sum those delays (sum)Tz (Like Tz1+Tz2... to Tzn) and add the delay for the number of packets n*Tt to get the total time.

You cannot determine how many packets fit in a time without an expression for the interpacket delay. If you know the number of packets, you can determine the total interpacket delay, but not the specific delay between any two sequential packets.

That should more you forward a bit. Post clarification if I misinterpreted what you are asking.

oneamp
Feb8-14, 10:30 PM
P: 222
Data rate formula

Thanks both of you

Register to reply