Can I Generate a Signal for My Broken Cable with a Homemade TDR?

• Thread starter John1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, you can use a small relay to buzz by tying the NC contacts in series with the coil. You can buy an FM Transmitter kit that meets the micropower requirements of the FCC, or make a home made TDR.
John1397
I have a 300 foot cable with multiple conductors one is broken what I want is an idea how to generate signal that could be picked up by am radio? Was thinking of trying a crt monitor with copper windings around the outside with one end tied to cable do not know if this would work or some way to construct a few components to generate a signal that can be picked up by portable radio either am or fm? Something cheap preferable.

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
Configure a small relay to buzz by tying the NC contacts in series with the coil. You have made a very small spark gap transmitter which will be picked up by an AM radio. You trying to locate the cable I assume?

I got those small relays from crt monitor circuit boards I do not if these would work they only have the coil + and - and switch circuit.

John1397 said:
I have a 300 foot cable with multiple conductors one is broken what I want is an idea how to generate signal that could be picked up by am radio? Was thinking of trying a crt monitor with copper windings around the outside with one end tied to cable do not know if this would work or some way to construct a few components to generate a signal that can be picked up by portable radio either am or fm? Something cheap preferable.

John

You shouldn't be broadcasting in the AM or FM bands, at least not with any power.

You can buy an FM Transmitter kit that meets the micropower requirements of the FCC, and up close, you probably would get enough signal coupled into the cable to be able to detect it. But if this is a multi-conductor cable, there will likely be enough cross-talk to make unique identification of the broken wire difficult.

Another option would be to get one of those AC Mains circuit tracer kits from the hardware store. They are made to trace wiring from a socket back to the breaker panel. You would need to modify the transmitter to work off of batteries instead of AC Mains, but otherwise it should give you what you want.

Can you say more about this cable? Is it only one that you need to debug/fix, or do you have to do this periodically on other cables too? There may be other ways to figure this out (like with a capacitance meter, etc.).

This wire has 16 conductors maybe to find one broken wire out of 16 this type of break detection will not work signal would have to be of the type that will not cross over from one wire to the other this probably not possible.

I'm thinking you need one of these:

Fn-ts100_01c_s_.jpg

http://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/installation-tools/TS-100-Cable-Fault-Finder

You can make a home made TDR - with a single pulse and a half decent scope - calibrate on the good wires in the cable. I had been thinking of the cable tracers - but TDR is much better idea in a multi-conductor cable.

1. What is "Noise Generating Cheap"?

"Noise Generating Cheap" is a term used to describe a type of product or device that is designed to create noise or sound at a low cost. This can include items such as musical instruments, electronic gadgets, or even household appliances.

2. How does "Noise Generating Cheap" work?

The specific workings of "Noise Generating Cheap" products can vary depending on the type and design. In general, these products use simple and inexpensive components to produce sound or noise, such as vibrating strings, circuits, or air movement. The goal is to create a functional and affordable product without compromising on the quality of the sound or noise produced.

3. What are the benefits of using "Noise Generating Cheap" products?

The main benefit of using "Noise Generating Cheap" products is their affordability. These products are often much more budget-friendly compared to high-end or professional-grade alternatives. They can also be a great option for beginners who are just starting to explore their interest in music or sound production. Additionally, "Noise Generating Cheap" products can offer a unique and sometimes quirky sound that may not be found in more expensive options.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using "Noise Generating Cheap" products?

While "Noise Generating Cheap" products can be a great option for those on a budget, they may not always offer the same level of quality or durability as more expensive options. The components used in these products may be less reliable and may not produce the same level of sound or noise as higher-end products. Additionally, some "Noise Generating Cheap" products may have limited features or customization options.

5. Can "Noise Generating Cheap" products be used in professional settings?

While "Noise Generating Cheap" products may not always offer the same level of quality as professional-grade options, they can still be used in professional settings. In some cases, these products may even offer a unique and creative sound that can add an interesting element to a professional production. However, it is important to carefully research and test the product before using it in a professional setting to ensure that it meets the necessary standards and requirements.