by JasonHathaway
Tags: unit, vector
Share this thread:
JasonHathaway
Feb13-14, 01:36 PM
P: 77
Hi everyone,

Just wanna know how does the the unit vector become in that form:

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{4}[/itex]
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
olivermsun
Feb13-14, 02:54 PM
P: 668
Check your definition of "unit vector."
JasonHathaway
Feb13-14, 04:05 PM
As far as I know, the unit vector or the normal vector is the vector divided by its magnitude.

But that's not what I need to know, what I need to know is the manipulation that occurred.

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{\sqrt{4(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{2\sqrt{(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/itex]

That's my best. :Z

mathman
Feb13-14, 04:09 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,040
Unit Vector

Quote Quote by JasonHathaway View Post
As far as I know, the unit vector or the normal vector is the vector divided by its magnitude.

But that's not what I need to know, what I need to know is the manipulation that occurred.

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{\sqrt{4(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{2\sqrt{(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/itex]

That's my best. :Z
Derivation is correct.
JasonHathaway
Feb13-14, 04:44 PM
But how did it end up like this form: [itex]\frac{x \vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{4}[/itex]

And I've found something similar in Thomas Calculus:

Is [itex]y^{2} + z^{2}[/itex] equal to 1 or something? much like [itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta = 1 [/itex]
olivermsun
Feb13-14, 06:01 PM
You're looking for "the" unit normal vector. Normal to what?
JasonHathaway
Feb14-14, 03:35 AM
Normal to the surface [itex]2x+3y+6z=12[/itex]
olivermsun
Feb14-14, 06:40 AM
Okay, but clearly that isn't where the gradient in the original post came from. So if you want to know what happened in post #3 (why x2 + y2 = 1) then you need to state the original problem.
JasonHathaway
Feb14-14, 07:41 AM
Sorry, that's not the correct surface, but the surface is [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=16[/itex].
But I think I've got the idea:
[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{x\vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}=\frac{x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{16}}=\frac{ x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{4}[/itex]

right?
olivermsun
Feb14-14, 08:06 AM

Register to reply