Register to reply

Difference between graphs of -f(x) and f(-x)

by Tyrion101
Tags: confused, difference, graphs, respect
Share this thread:
Tyrion101
Feb13-14, 04:34 PM
P: 147
It often seems as though it's backwards from what it should be, I had understood -f(x) meant to flip x and y, from positive to negative, or vice versa, and f(-x) to mean you just make x negative. If you had the points (2,2) you'd make them (-2,-2) for -f(x) and (-2,2) for f(-x) Is my understanding wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Tyrion101
Feb13-14, 04:35 PM
The rest of the title should be graphing.
Stephen Tashi
Feb13-14, 05:09 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,252
Quote Quote by Tyrion101 View Post
If you had the points (2,2) you'd make them (-2,-2) for -f(x) and (-2,2) for f(-x) Is my understanding wrong?
If the point (2,2) is (x,f(x)) then (x, -f(x)) is the point (2,-2) and (x,f(-x)) can't be determined unless you know what f(-2) is. For example if f(x) = 2x -2, f(2) = 2 and f(-2) = -6. So (x,f(-x)) is (2,-6).

Tyrion101
Feb13-14, 05:11 PM
Difference between graphs of -f(x) and f(-x)

Ok, that makes more sense.
Mark44
Feb13-14, 05:20 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
It often seems as though it's backwards from what it should be, I had understood -f(x) meant to flip x and y, from positive to negative, or vice versa,
No.
Assuming that you have the graph of y = f(x),
1. The graph of y = -f(x) is the reflection across the x-axis of the graph of y = f(x).
2. The graph of y = f(-x) is the reflection across the y-axis of the graph of y = f(x).
3. The graph of y = -f(-x) is the reflection across the origin (that is, across both axes) of the graph of y = f(x).
and f(-x) to mean you just make x negative. If you had the points (2,2) you'd make them (-2,-2) for -f(x)
If you had the point (2, 2) on the graph of f, the point (-2, -2) would be on the graph of y = -f(-x). Note the two minus signs.
and (-2,2) for f(-x) Is my understanding wrong?

Register to reply