M67 and open clusters

by kr75
Tags: clusters, m67/ngc2862, milky way, open clusters
kr75
Feb18-14, 01:51 PM
P: 16
Hi,
I am looking to do a study on the M67 cluster, and I would appreciate suggestions on books and articles on the topic and a little bit on open clusters in general. I have found very little information on how M67 affects the dynamics of the galaxy (part of the galaxy neighborhood). There are not many books I can find that have a lot of information on this cluster (granted, it is a relatively "dull" cluster). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
First potentially habitable Earth-sized planet confirmed: It may have liquid water
A sharp eye on Southern binary stars
Hubble image: A cross-section of the universe
D English
Feb18-14, 02:27 PM
P: 28
I hope this helps:

"The Sun Was Not Born In M67"
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1201.0987.pdf

This looks pretty good, I'm going to read it myself.
phyzguy
Feb18-14, 07:24 PM
P: 2,068
Quote Quote by kr75 View Post
Hi,
I am looking to do a study on the M67 cluster, and I would appreciate suggestions on books and articles on the topic and a little bit on open clusters in general. I have found very little information on how M67 affects the dynamics of the galaxy (part of the galaxy neighborhood). There are not many books I can find that have a lot of information on this cluster (granted, it is a relatively "dull" cluster). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
M67 is a relatively small cluster with a few hundred stars. The Milky Way galaxy contains hundreds of billions of stars. So why should this small cluster "affect the dynamics of the galaxy"? I don't really understand what you are asking.

|Glitch|
Feb22-14, 06:36 AM
P: 39

M67 and open clusters

Quote Quote by kr75 View Post
Hi,
It is not that dull. After all, the European Southern Observatory in Chile recently discovered three exoplanets around three spectral type G stars.

New exoplanet discoveries in an open cluster

This may also help: http://messier.seds.org/m/m067.html

Register to reply