Register to reply

Tips for volumetric analysis

by smart_worker
Tags: analysis, tips, volumetric
Share this thread:
smart_worker
Feb20-14, 06:57 AM
P: 116
guys today i have my chemistry practicals.i have to do titration.i have to suck the pipette with my mouth.it is a rule that everyone must use their mouth only.it is very difficult for me to suck in exact 20ml of the solution and pipette out.so i am not getting the exact titre value.are there any shortcuts to find the titre value.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Moving single cells around?accurately and cheaply
Laser optical tweezers reveal how malaria parasites infect red blood cells (w/ Video)
The difficult question of Clostridium difficile
Borek
Feb20-14, 07:05 AM
Admin
P: 23,525
You don't "suck exactly 20 mL". You suck more, use your finger to close the pipette, then you let the excess to drop out till the pipette is filled exactly to the mark.
gravenewworld
Feb20-14, 07:49 AM
P: 1,408
Utterly ridiculous that in 2014 people are still being taught to mouth pipette. I thought this practice was prohibited almost everywhere.

Borek
Feb20-14, 09:25 AM
Admin
Tips for volumetric analysis

Quote Quote by gravenewworld View Post
Utterly ridiculous that in 2014 people are still being taught to mouth pipette. I thought this practice was prohibited almost everywhere.
Sorry to say that, but you are just showing your ignorance - not every part of the world is rich enough.
PhysicoRaj
Feb20-14, 10:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 437
Quote Quote by smart_worker View Post
are there any shortcuts to find the titre value.
You can't decide the concentration of a solution while looking at it. And you are not allowed to do more than that. One shortcut is to get to know the titre value first!
In my case the error was always due to leftover distilled water in the flask. It diluted the pipetted solution and I purposely used to take 0.1mL less than the observed titre value. It worked well for me!
gravenewworld
Feb20-14, 01:14 PM
P: 1,408
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Sorry to say that, but you are just showing your ignorance - not every part of the world is rich enough.
Yup, so expensive

http://www.sciencelabsupplies.com/Pi...iller_Red.html

If you can afford to do chemistry, afford chemicasl, afford to have a lab, and afford glassware you can afford minor safety items that can prevent major injuries. Hey mouth pipetting, what a great way to get hepatitis or oral acid/base burns!
Borek
Feb20-14, 01:54 PM
Admin
You are still not understanding the reality - this kind of safety is considered a luxury in many places. When GDP per capita is 50 times lower than in US, $5 is a serious expense.

And - without getting into details - OP doesn't live in US.

Register to reply