Understand BIL Rating & Maximum Voltage in Equipment

In summary, BIL (Basic Impulse Level) rating is the maximum voltage that a piece of equipment can withstand in a single instant, while the rated continuous use voltage, also known as working voltage, is the highest voltage that the equipment can handle continuously without being damaged. For equipment such as a Cap bank with a BIL rating, it is important to also know the maximum continuous voltage, which should be listed as VW. However, in some cases, only the BIL rating may be available.
Octavius1287
The difference between BIL rating and Maximum voltage? Like is the BIL voltage the highest it can take in just one instant? how do i know what is the highest continuous voltage a piece of equipment can take? Like for a Cap bank i see a BIL rating but i need to know what's the maximum voltage

(like let's say its for 115kv and i wanted to run it at 1.1pu would it be damaged)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The rated continuous use voltage is its working voltage, sometimes abbreviated VW.

so it should list that to correct? I can only find a BIL rating :/

1. What is BIL rating and why is it important?

BIL (Basic Impulse Level) rating is a measure of the voltage that an electrical equipment can withstand without damage. It is important because it ensures the safety and reliability of the equipment in case of voltage surges or lightning strikes.

2. How is BIL rating determined for different types of equipment?

The BIL rating for equipment is determined based on factors such as the type of insulation, operating voltage, and location of the equipment. It is usually specified by the manufacturer and should adhere to industry standards.

3. What is the maximum voltage that an equipment can handle?

The maximum voltage that an equipment can handle is known as its maximum voltage rating. This rating is typically higher than the BIL rating and indicates the maximum voltage that the equipment can safely withstand without damage.

4. Can the BIL rating of an equipment be increased?

No, the BIL rating of an equipment cannot be increased. It is determined by the design and construction of the equipment and cannot be altered. Altering the BIL rating may compromise the safety and reliability of the equipment.

5. Is BIL rating the only factor to consider for equipment protection?

No, BIL rating is not the only factor to consider for equipment protection. Other factors such as grounding, overcurrent protection, and proper maintenance also play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and reliability of electrical equipment.