Suggestions for FTIR Experiment

by Giga_Man
Tags: experiment, ftir, suggestions
Giga_Man
Feb24-14, 03:03 AM
P: 4
Hi guys,
I am going to get a shot to perform a short experiment of my choosing with an FTIR device.
Do you have any suggestions/seen any interesting things I could use it for?
(Please keep in mind my knowledge in FTIR in very limited so I would really appreciate interesting suggestions which are easy to do).
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
ZapperZ
Feb24-14, 06:44 AM
Mentor
P: 28,801
First if all, are you aware of the type of information that you can obtain from a FTIR?

Zz.
vatlychatran
Feb28-14, 10:33 AM
P: 21
I know that people use ftir to measure conductivity, so you can try it with materials like superconductors

ZapperZ
Feb28-14, 12:04 PM
Mentor
P: 28,801

Suggestions for FTIR Experiment

Quote Quote by vatlychatran View Post
I know that people use ftir to measure conductivity, so you can try it with materials like superconductors
This is misleading, and the use of the term "conductivity" is vague.

One might be able to arrive at SOME information about the OPTICAL CONDUCTIVITY of a solid, but one would be hard pressed to be able to get any useful information on the electrical conductivity. Unfortunately, the use of the term "conductivity" often means "electrical conductivity", and that is why I said your statement is misleading.

Secondly, even information about optical conductivity requires a bit more analysis, i.e. it just doesn't drop out of the data and onto your lap. One may have to invoke Kramers-Kronig relations in analyzing the data to get some information about the optical conductivity.

In any case, one has to first know what type of raw data one can get out of a FTIR experiment, and that was what I asked the OP to see if he/she knows this. Without such knowledge, it is meaningless to present any other information that are derived from the data.

Zz.
vatlychatran
Feb28-14, 12:09 PM
P: 21
Ah, you are right, i mean optical conductivity.
Giga_Man
Mar3-14, 12:13 PM
P: 4
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
The FTIR Output is the Absorbance/Transmittance spectrum as function of wave number. max resolution for me is cm^(-1).
There is also an ATR element I can use use to measure the spectrum for solids and liquids.
jlopezfis
Apr7-14, 05:36 PM
P: 5
You can to make an analysis of any material, for example carbon, is very interesting this topic because you can compare graphite bands and amorphous carbon bands, for different samples .

Register to reply