Good Book for Learning about Motors/Generators

• Thread starter Driggers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the individuals recommend the following books for learning about AC/DC motors and generators: "Electrical Machinery and Transformers" by Guru/Hiziroglu for theory and "Electric Motor Repair" by Rosenberg/Hand for practicality. They also suggest looking for old books from the 1960s or earlier, such as "NEETS Module 05" or "Dynamo-Electric Machinery," for additional resources and practical knowledge. It is also recommended to take apart and study old motors from a junkyard for hands-on learning.
Driggers
I'm a junior in electrical engineering so I have a good knowledge of the physics of electromagnetism. However, I do not take my electric power and machines class for another two semesters and am interested in learning about AC/DC motors and generators in my spare time. Can anyone recommend any good books?

I want the book to go into fair detail on the construction of these devices, not just an overview of the physics. But I'm not looking for a textbook really, just something in the $50 range.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No takers yet ?

I'd say the best practical training was the US Navy courses from 1960's.
Take a look here
https://archive.org/details/NEETSModule05

If you can find any old Audel's books on motors from 1930's to 1960's in a used book store , they are great.
General Electric inWW2 published a book called "Electrical Maintenance" that is chock full of practical advice, like how to find open rotor bars, proper lubrication, ,, it'll be a difficult find but a lifelong resource.

lastly i'd advise go to a junkyard and get a few motors, take them apart.
Starter motors are series wound DC machine, as are many heater blower motors
Generators are shunt wound
electric window motors are permanent magnet type
older Ford windshield wiper motors are a three brush DC machine, as were car generators before invention of the electromechanical voltage regulator mid-1930's. Third brush excites the field, giving closed loop control. Newer ones are permanent magnet.

your humble car alternator is a three phase wound rotor synchronous machine.

Last edited:
PS

I have a 1901 edition of this book, which is a delight. I've mentioned it before on PF.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dyn...hillips-thompson/1100929181?ean=9781407686394

Back then they were still experimenting with physical configurations, and interpoles were a new idea.
It's somewhat wordy but interesting perspective on from whence we came. He speaks of Tesla and Steinmetz in present tense... It'd be a real novelty in a modern machinery course...

The 1886 version is available as well, but his preface to 1901 says he added a LOT of information. A lot of progress happened in those 15 years. I've not seen the earlier one , don't know if it would be as good on 3-phase.

old jim

Thank you very much, I appreciate the response.

For theory, I suggest Electrical Machinery and Transformers, by Guru/Hiziroglu
For practicality, I suggest Electric Motor Repair, by Rosenberg/Hand <---- Not just a motor repair book. Has a lot of excellent information in it. It opens twice inside, one half shows illustrations while the other, the text. By far my favorite electric motor book

1. What is the best book for learning about motors and generators?

The best book for learning about motors and generators will depend on your specific needs and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Electric Machinery Fundamentals" by Stephen J. Chapman and "Principles of Electric Machines and Power Electronics" by P.C. Sen.

2. What topics should be covered in a good book about motors and generators?

A good book about motors and generators should cover topics such as basic principles and operation, types and classifications of motors and generators, control and protection systems, maintenance and troubleshooting, and application-specific considerations.

3. Are there any recommended books for beginners in the field of motors and generators?

Yes, there are several books specifically geared towards beginners in the field of motors and generators. Some options include "Introduction to Electric Machines and Drives" by Peter Vas and "Electric Motors and Drives: Fundamentals, Types and Applications" by Austin Hughes.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on practical applications of motors and generators?

Yes, there are books that focus specifically on practical applications of motors and generators, such as "Electric Motors and Control Techniques" by Irving M. Gottlieb and "Electric Motors and Drives: Fundamentals, Types and Applications" by Austin Hughes.

5. Are there any books that cover both motors and generators in one comprehensive guide?

Yes, there are several books that cover both motors and generators in one comprehensive guide, such as "Electric Machinery and Transformers" by Bhag S. Guru and Huseyin R. Hiziroglu and "Electric Motors and Generators" by George Roy and Thomas J. Henry.