Register to reply

Jupiter Trojans ever collide?

by Master Wayne
Tags: collide, jupiter, jupiter trojans, trojans
Share this thread:
Master Wayne
Mar2-14, 07:03 PM
P: 21
Does anyone know if the Jupiter Trojans (the asteroids that share an orbit with Jupiter) ever collide with moons or Jupiter itself?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mysterious molecules in space
Next-generation Thirty Meter Telescope begins construction in Hawaii
Comet Jacques makes a 'questionable' appearance
davenn
Mar2-14, 07:25 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,501
the 2 sets of Trojans sharing Jupiter's orbit, one set leading Jupiter the other set lagging Jupiter.
Those positions are quite some distance ahead and behind Jupiter, and as long at the asteroids stayed in those positions there would be no possibility of impacts.
But because of gravitational interactions between Jupiter, Saturn and the asteroids, some asteroids can get ejected from those positions. Depending on trajectories, I guess, impacts could be possible

Dave
Master Wayne
Mar2-14, 08:20 PM
P: 21
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
the 2 sets of Trojans sharing Jupiter's orbit, one set leading Jupiter the other set lagging Jupiter.
Those positions are quite some distance ahead and behind Jupiter, and as long at the asteroids stayed in those positions there would be no possibility of impacts.
But because of gravitational interactions between Jupiter, Saturn and the asteroids, some asteroids can get ejected from those positions. Depending on trajectories, I guess, impacts could be possible

Dave

Awesome. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you very much.

davenn
Mar3-14, 01:45 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,501
Jupiter Trojans ever collide?

You are welcome :)

cheers
Dave
tfr000
Mar3-14, 04:08 PM
P: 119