Register to reply

Common Core 32 -12? please help my brain!

by jacobtwmurphy
Tags: brain, common, core
Share this thread:
jacobtwmurphy
Mar4-14, 11:54 PM
P: 2
I am trying very desperately to figure out this specific problem I don't need examples of other problems i need this very very specific problem before i loose my freaking mind. Please someone explain this and show me how it works I am extremely desperate. I am told this is some sort of key, I do not know this is not my math problems or work sheet, just information I was unfortunate enough to stumble on a meme. Absolutely no one can give me a straight answer, I have even asked a math teacher and he had no idea what this was.
Attached Thumbnails
1798627_527606177342422_628279470_n.jpg   multiplication62.gif  
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
lurflurf
Mar5-14, 01:15 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,264
The first one is 32-12=20.
The second is 248*38=9386.
The methods used are subtraction by addition and lattice multiplication.
The lattice multiplication is sensible, while correct I do not see the reasoning behind the subtraction, that is not how I would do it.
nmf77
Mar5-14, 04:03 PM
P: 13
the subtraction 'method' looks like hard work to me! Starting with 12, if you add, in succession, the numbers 3,5,10 and 2, you reach a total of 32. Hence the answer to 32-12 is equal to the sum of those numbers - 20. The choice of numbers to add seems somewhat arbitrary, save for the fact that the intermediate totals are round numbers - well, sort of. I'll stick with the traditional method!

jacobtwmurphy
Mar5-14, 04:16 PM
P: 2
Common Core 32 -12? please help my brain!

Thank you guys, I am digging around looking for every spec of information on this, I cant believe this is being taught in schools now.

Register to reply