Register to reply

Common Core 32 -12? please help my brain!

by jacobtwmurphy
Tags: brain, common, core
Share this thread:
jacobtwmurphy
Mar4-14, 11:54 PM
P: 2
I am trying very desperately to figure out this specific problem I don't need examples of other problems i need this very very specific problem before i loose my freaking mind. Please someone explain this and show me how it works I am extremely desperate. I am told this is some sort of key, I do not know this is not my math problems or work sheet, just information I was unfortunate enough to stumble on a meme. Absolutely no one can give me a straight answer, I have even asked a math teacher and he had no idea what this was.
Attached Thumbnails
1798627_527606177342422_628279470_n.jpg   multiplication62.gif  
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
lurflurf
Mar5-14, 01:15 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,264
The first one is 32-12=20.
The second is 248*38=9386.
The methods used are subtraction by addition and lattice multiplication.
The lattice multiplication is sensible, while correct I do not see the reasoning behind the subtraction, that is not how I would do it.
nmf77
Mar5-14, 04:03 PM
P: 13
the subtraction 'method' looks like hard work to me! Starting with 12, if you add, in succession, the numbers 3,5,10 and 2, you reach a total of 32. Hence the answer to 32-12 is equal to the sum of those numbers - 20. The choice of numbers to add seems somewhat arbitrary, save for the fact that the intermediate totals are round numbers - well, sort of. I'll stick with the traditional method!

jacobtwmurphy
Mar5-14, 04:16 PM
P: 2
Common Core 32 -12? please help my brain!

Thank you guys, I am digging around looking for every spec of information on this, I cant believe this is being taught in schools now.

Register to reply