Register to reply

A commonly available material exhibiting reasonable expansion/contract

Share this thread:
OtherRealm
Mar9-14, 05:50 PM
P: 5
I am looking for a commonly available, non toxic material (i.e. on the market today for a relatively low price) that exhibits reasonable expansion and contraction in size when electricity is applied. This could be a gas, liquid, easily workable solid but ideally it would be a fabric or flexible rubber/plastic. I know there are jury-rigged (i.e., not currently on the market and requiring further development) ways of doing this using heat, I just was wondering if there is anything currently out there that would get the job done and ideally uses electricity directly and not through thermal expansion . Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
Simon Bridge
Mar9-14, 08:31 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,067
Define reasonable? I'm guessing piezo-crystals are not?
What is it for?

i.e. imbedding dipoles in a block of rubber would make it stretch in an applied electric field.
Ferrofluids can be made to deform significantly in magnetic fields - which you can make with electricity.
The amount of stretching depends on the elasticity of the material - which would be an engineering problem.

For commercially available materials - try "artificial muscle" or "electroactive polymer".
OtherRealm
Mar9-14, 09:14 PM
P: 5
I am working on a robotics idea I had, and I would like to keep the cost within reason
I haven’t found anything that is commonly used (and therefore, I am assuming this implies there is nothing commonly available). I have found a recently published paper in Science (February) on using twisted nylon fishing line but so far I have been unable to duplicate their results using what I had lying around. I ordered some other thread that I’m going to try, but I didn’t want to go through a lot of effort if there is something already readily available.

Simon Bridge
Mar9-14, 10:10 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,067
A commonly available material exhibiting reasonable expansion/contract

I don't think there is anything you can just go down to the store and buy - except piezo-electric devices - you'd have to construct it out of other materials.
i.e. two small magnets, a plastic tube, and a rubber band - a solenoid at each end.

Register to reply