Rate of reaction and coefficient of the reactan

by ElmorshedyDr
Tags: coefficient, rate, reactan, reaction
Share this thread:
ElmorshedyDr
Mar17-14, 02:59 AM
P: 403
Suppose in the reaction 2 NO + O2 --------> 2NO2

Why when the the concentration of NO is doubled, the rate increases 4 times, I know that the rate is directly proportional to the square of NO concentration (I don't know why) and it's order of reaction is 2 ( I don't why ). but I still can't understand a reason for all of that it seems foggy to me why the coefficient affects the proportionality. It should be intuitive to a chemistry student, I think a simple analogy would be helpful, thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Moving single cells around?accurately and cheaply
Laser optical tweezers reveal how malaria parasites infect red blood cells (w/ Video)
The difficult question of Clostridium difficile
Borek
Mar17-14, 03:21 AM
Admin
P: 23,533
Quote Quote by ElmorshedyDr View Post
Why when the the concentration of NO is doubled, the rate increases 4 times, I know that the rate is directly proportional to the square of NO concentration (I don't know why) and it's order of reaction is 2 ( I don't why )
While everything you wrote is correct, it is the wrong way around.

First, we should check what is the reaction order - and the only sure way of doing it is an experiment. Once we know order is 2 everything else follows as a series of conclusions.
ElmorshedyDr
Mar17-14, 03:23 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
While everything you wrote is correct, it is the wrong way around.

First, we should check what is the reaction order - and the only sure way of doing it is an experiment. Once we know order is 2 everything else follows as a series of conclusions.

But in elementary reactions, the order is equal to the coefficient, isn't that true and why ???

Borek
Mar17-14, 04:33 AM
Admin
Rate of reaction and coefficient of the reactan

Quote Quote by ElmorshedyDr View Post
But in elementary reactions, the order is equal to the coefficient, isn't that true and why ???
Yes it is true - because we defined it this way. Order of the reaction equals sum of the coefficients from the elementary reaction equation.
DrDu
Mar17-14, 07:48 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
Looking at the article http://www.sciencedirect.com.1361-0....8986039990232X
there are two possible mechanisms:
## \rm 2NO \leftrightarrows N_2O_2## (fast)
##\rm N_2O_2+O_2\rightarrow 2NO## (slow, rate-determining)
or
##\rm NO+O_2\leftrightarrows NO_3## (fast)
##\rm NO_3+NO\rightarrow 2NO_2## (slow, rate-determining)
ElmorshedyDr
Mar17-14, 12:32 PM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Yes it is true - because we defined it this way. Order of the reaction equals sum of the coefficients from the elementary reaction equation.

You really misunderstand me, I know because it's defined like that, I mean why does the number of moles in a balanced question affects the proportionality in the rate equation for an example 2NO + O2 ------> 2NO2 , I2 + H2 -----> 2HI

Supposing that they are elementary reactions
Why in the first equation on doubling the conc of NO the rate increases 4 times but on doubling I2 it increases only 2 times

I already know the conception of the order of reaction and this stuff

but I want an analogy that really clarifies it, or a detailed easy explanation that make it clear and intuitive to a high school student.
Borek
Mar17-14, 01:39 PM
Admin
If you are looking for intuition - reactions occur when the molecules collide, the more molecules, the more frequent the collisions. Number of collisions for a given kind of a molecule is proportional to its number (or concentration).

Register to reply