GRE unofficial vs. official scores

• Thread starter lasymphonie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the unofficial GRE score report is provided immediately after completing the test, while the official score report is available about 10-15 days after the test date. The unofficial score report is only for the test-taker's reference and cannot be used for official purposes, while the official score report can be sent to schools and institutions for admission or scholarship purposes. The unofficial GRE scores are generally accurate, but they may vary slightly from the official scores. The unofficial scores are based on the number of questions answered correctly and the difficulty level of the questions, while the official scores are scaled and adjusted based on the performance of all test-takers. No, the unofficial GRE scores cannot be used for official purposes such as applying to graduate programs. Only
lasymphonie
Do people know if unofficial scores given at the GRE testing site often change when you're given your official scores? I took the GRE today and my unofficial scores were good, so I'm really hoping they don't go down!

Physics news on Phys.org
The scaled scores you got shouldn't change. The percentiles can change over time, but they don't give you those the day you take the test.

What is the difference between GRE unofficial and official scores?

The unofficial GRE score report is provided immediately after completing the test, while the official score report is available about 10-15 days after the test date. The unofficial score report is only for the test-taker's reference and cannot be used for official purposes, while the official score report can be sent to schools and institutions for admission or scholarship purposes.

Are the GRE unofficial scores accurate?

The unofficial GRE scores are generally accurate, but they may vary slightly from the official scores. This is because the unofficial scores are based on the number of questions answered correctly and the difficulty level of the questions, while the official scores are scaled and adjusted based on the performance of all test-takers.

Can I use my unofficial GRE scores to apply to graduate programs?

No, the unofficial GRE scores cannot be used for official purposes such as applying to graduate programs. Only the official scores, which are sent directly to schools and institutions by ETS, can be used for admission or scholarship purposes.

Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my unofficial scores?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your unofficial scores. However, you have to wait at least 21 days before retaking the test and you will have to pay the full test fee again.

Do the unofficial and official GRE scores have the same validity period?

Yes, both the unofficial and official GRE scores are valid for 5 years from the date of the test. After 5 years, the scores will expire and cannot be used for admission or scholarship purposes.