Unit vectors in different coordinates

by JasonHathaway
Tags: coordinates, unit, vectors
Share this thread:
JasonHathaway
Mar19-14, 06:06 PM
P: 77
Hi everyone,

I've some points I want to make sure of.

1- When converting a "POINT" from a coordinate system to another, I'll just use the derived equation to convert (e.g. (1,2,3) from cartestian to cylindrical: [itex] \rho=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}, \phi=tan^{-1}\frac{y}{x}, z=z [/itex]
2- When converting an "EQUATION" (e.g. [itex] \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}=\frac{x^{2}y}{y^{2}x} [/itex]), I'll use the same approach as 1.
3- When converting a "VECTOR" (e.g. [itex] 4\vec{i}+3\vec{j}+6\vec{k} [/itex]), I must convert the unit vector [itex]\vec{i}, \vec{j},\vec{k} [/itex] into their equivalent in my desired coordinate system, whether that vector is A unit vector or not, and I cannot put in the form of a point (e.g. (4,3,6) ) and use the same approach as 1.

Okay, and for 3:
a) To convert from cartesian to cylindrical:
Since [itex]x=\rho cos(\phi), y=\rho sin(\phi), z=z [/itex], then:
[itex]\frac{dx}{d \rho}=cos(\phi),\frac{dx}{d \phi}=-\rho sin(\phi), \frac{dx}{dz}=0 [/itex]
[itex]\frac{dy}{d \rho}=sin(\phi),\frac{dy}{d \phi}=\rho cos(\phi), \frac{dy}{dz}=0 [/itex]
[itex]\frac{dz}{d \rho}=0,\frac{dz}{d \phi}=0, \frac{dz}{dz}=1 [/itex]

And then dot product my vector with each of rho, phi and z components.

But I've found in wikipedia that there's no rho in the derivative with respect to phi...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_...al_coordinates

The same thing for the cartesian to spherical.

b) If I want to convert a vector from cylindrical/spherical to cartesian, do I have to take the same approach as a)?

c) How can I convert unit vectors between cylindrical and spherical and vice versa?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Simon Bridge
Mar20-14, 01:29 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,463
http://home.comcast.net/~szemengtan/...leParticle.pdf
... section 1.4

Register to reply