Finite element method and applied element method

In summary: I see that it is a acronym for "Applied Element Method". I am assuming it is a software program?Yes, AEM is a software program.

Which method

• Total voters
Fady Alphons
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both AEM and FEM and which on is easier.
I am doing a project and I should use one of these two methods to solve for a truss system.
P.S. computer programming shall be used.

In the end which method is better for this case?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on how far you want the analysis of the truss system to extend.

AEM is used to predict what happens after a structure is loaded beyond elastic limits and is proceeding to failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_element_method

FEM is generally used to analyze a structure where the stresses are not assumed to be greater than the elastic limit of the material. If some FEM results are obtained which happen to show stress is greater than the elastic limit of the material, then the designer can either do a more detailed investigation (perhaps using AEM) or simply add material to the structure to bring the stresses down to acceptable levels.

Likes 1 person
If you are doing a small displacement linear analysis of the truss, there is no obvious reason NOT to use FEM, and no reason to write your own software (except to teach yourself about FEM).

Looking at the references and links in the wikipedia page, I see all the referenced papers have the inventor of the method as one of the authors. The two links to software products using AEM make a lot of unsubstantiated claims about the limitation of FEM which I don't necessarily agree with, and one of the products seems to have been developed on the back of a US Dept of Homeland Security initiative, to give indemnity to developers of new technologies that might have relevance to 9-11 type events in case the technology doesn't actually work.

Sorry, but if I was going to design a conventional truss structure, I would rather use an old method that has demonstrably worked OK for at least 50 years already, rather than new one where the DHS will give me my money back if the structure fails!

Likes 1 person
No doubt about it: use FEM. There is no conceptual difference between AEM and FEM. I would even say AEM is FEM, but formulated by those who never heard about cohesive elements. They are basically the same thing, but if you are looking for a job after graduation, you better say you know about FEM and not AEM!

Likes 1 person
FEM can do anything you want to do.

Car crash test simulations are done with high-fidelity FEM (8-noded "solid" elements) using such tools as ABAQUS, ANSYS, LS-DYNA.

Structural engineers model the beams and columns of high rise buildings (or perhaps more relevant for you: the bars of a bridge truss) using FEM ("beam" elements), with software such as ETABS, RISA, STAAD.

"Shell" elements are also commonly used, and that can be done using any of the aforementioned software. Additionally, any of the aforementioned software can simulate steel plasticity (damage). The high-fidelity software even have very good built-in capabilities for simulating things like anisotropy (wood, carbon-fiber), viscoelasticity (rubber), fracture (concrete damage), and just about anything else you can imagine.

I have not heard of "AEM" until this thread.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between the finite element method and applied element method?

The finite element method and applied element method are both numerical techniques used for solving complex engineering problems. The main difference between the two lies in their approach to discretization. The finite element method breaks down a continuous problem into smaller elements and solves each element separately, while the applied element method directly discretizes the problem into smaller substructures and solves them simultaneously.

2. What are the main advantages of using the finite element method and applied element method?

The finite element method and applied element method offer several advantages. These include the ability to handle complex geometries, non-linearities, and material properties. They also allow for efficient parallel computing, making them suitable for solving large-scale problems.

3. What are the limitations of the finite element method and applied element method?

Despite their advantages, the finite element method and applied element method also have limitations. They can be computationally expensive and require significant expertise to implement correctly. They also rely on accurate input data and assumptions, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

4. How are the finite element method and applied element method used in real-world applications?

The finite element method and applied element method have a wide range of applications in various fields, including structural engineering, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetics. They are commonly used for designing and optimizing structures, analyzing mechanical components, and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

5. What are the future developments and advancements in the finite element method and applied element method?

As technology advances, the finite element method and applied element method continue to evolve and improve. Some current research focuses on developing more efficient and accurate algorithms, incorporating artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques, and extending their capabilities to include multiphysics simulations.