Register to reply

ALMA vs James Webb telescopes

by revo74
Tags: alma, james, telescopes, webb
Share this thread:
revo74
Mar21-14, 08:02 PM
P: 63
What are the differences between these telescopes and which telescope will do more for our understanding of the universe? I know that ALMA is a series (66) radio telescopes, however, it also operates with optical telescopes. James Webb is an infrared telescope.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
Thermonuclear X-ray bursts on neutron stars set speed record
How can we find tiny particles in exoplanet atmospheres?
davenn
Mar21-14, 11:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,656
each is designed to look at different parts of the EM spectrum
as such there is no competetion between them, they each have their own "jobs"

Observing the universe over a broad range of frequencies from low freq RF through IR, visible light and to X-rays and Gamma, gives a better overall picture of what is going on out there

Dave
revo74
Mar22-14, 08:20 AM
P: 63
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
each is designed to look at different parts of the EM spectrum
as such there is no competetion between them, they each have their own "jobs"

Observing the universe over a broad range of frequencies from low freq RF through IR, visible light and to X-rays and Gamma, gives a better overall picture of what is going on out there

Dave
Thanks for the response. Are you aware of any other capabilities James Webb will be able to do that ALMA won't be able to? I read about James Webb and mentioned it to my brother. He said for 8 billion dollars it's a waste of money in light the fact that the Hubble and other optical telescopes are now outfitted with infrared capabilities and that there are other new generation telescopes coming online soon.

Cosmobrain
Mar22-14, 02:25 PM
P: 66
ALMA vs James Webb telescopes

We could simply judge which one is gonna be the best by its fame. The JWST is definitely a great expectation for astronomers and cosmologists. But if we are going to judge by the facts, then we'll have a harder time to compare them because they aren't so alike. A great plus of the JWST is that it will be in space, without the distortions the atmosphere can cause. I can't wait to see what this telescope is going to discover.

cb
Chronos
Mar22-14, 03:25 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,454
See http://jwst.nasa.gov/comparison.html for discussion of Hubble capabilities. Among other things, it will permit views of the universe out to around z=20. The Hubble can only reach out to z=9 on the best of days.

Register to reply