Register to reply

Does n has all the factors n has? How can I be sure?

by MonkeyKid
Tags: factors
Share this thread:
MonkeyKid
Mar22-14, 12:29 PM
P: 25
First of all, pardon me for my poor English, which is even worse for mathematics.

As an answer to my question, I think it does have all the factors n has. But I can't write mathematical proof of it, and so I can't make that statement. It's probably easy. I can write that in the opposite direction though:

let a, b, c, ..., z be the factors of N:

(a * b * c * ... * z) = N

then

(a * b * c * ... * z) = N
(pretty simple thinking)

but I can't write that in the other direction... I mean, begining with N and it's factors, conclude that it has at least all the factors N has.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
jbunniii
Mar22-14, 12:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,211
Well, let's write ##N = a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n## and choose any factor, say ##a_1##. Then ##N^2 = (a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n)(a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n) = a_1*X## where ##X = (a_2 a_3 \ldots a_n)*N##. Therefore ##a_1## is a factor of ##N^2##.

[edited] to use better notation
MonkeyKid
Mar22-14, 01:19 PM
P: 25
Quote Quote by jbunniii View Post
Well, let's write ##N = a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n## and choose any factor, say ##a_1##. Then ##N^2 = (a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n)(a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n) = a_1*X## where ##X = (a_2 a_3 \ldots a_n)*N##. Therefore ##a_1## is a factor of ##N^2##.

[edited] to use better notation
Thank you, it took me a while to understand, because I forgot I was talking about prime factors. In fact I was, and the title should be different. My mistake. I'm glad you saw through it. That's a neat explanation by the way. I like math more and more with each passing day.

Register to reply