64 bit MS Security Essential.

In summary, the conversation was about downloading and installing Microsoft Security Essentials on a 64-bit computer. The individual had trouble finding the correct program on the Microsoft website and questioned the safety of downloading from other sites. They were advised to use Internet Explorer and it was clarified that AMD64 and x86-64 are both suitable for 64-bit computers.
yungman
I just got my Win 7 64 bits computer. I went to Microsoft site to download the Security Essential. But when I tried to install the program, it said it's for a 32 bit computer and I need to get the 64 bit one. I went on MS site and looked all over, typed in "64 bit Security Essential". But I kept getting back the same 32 bit program. What did I missed? Anyone can give me a link to the right program?

My computer is an HP with 4th generation I-5 processor.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
yungman said:
The first one was the same that I tried already.

When I tried the first link, the download biutton gave me a choice of files with amd64 and x86 in the names. I guess the amd64 is 64 bit and x86 is 32 bit.

What web browser are you using? Some Microsoft web pages query what operating system and version (32/64 bit) you are running and alter the content of the page to match, but some non-Microsoft browsers give the OS information information incorrectly. (Actually, even some MS browsers give the information in a confusing but correct way, but you would hope MS knows how to deal with that!)

If you were were using Firefox, Chrome, etc, try again using Internet Explorer.

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
When I tried the first link, the download biutton gave me a choice of files with amd64 and x86 in the names. I guess the amd64 is 64 bit and x86 is 32 bit.

What web browser are you using? Some Microsoft web pages query what operating system and version (32/64 bit) you are running and alter the content of the page to match, but some non-Microsoft browsers give the OS information information incorrectly. (Actually, even some MS browsers give the information in a confusing but correct way, but you would hope MS knows how to deal with that!)

If you were were using Firefox, Chrome, etc, try again using Internet Explorer.

Thanks for the reply. Isn't the AMD64 for AMD chipset?

Yes, I use Firefox. I'll try using Internet Explorer.

Thanks

intel64 and amd64 are the same thing:
Prior to launch, "x86-64" and "x86_64" were used to refer to the instruction set. Upon release, AMD named it AMD64.[3] Intel initially used the names IA-32e and EM64T before finally settling on Intel 64 for their implementation. Some in the industry, including Apple,[4][5][6] use x86-64 and x86_64, while others, notably Sun Microsystems[7] (now Oracle Corporation) and Microsoft,[8] use x64 while the BSD family of OSs and several Linux distributions[9][10] use AMD64.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Likes 1 person
Thanks, the AMD64 installed successfully. I did not know as I read AMD and think it's for AMD.

1. What is "64 bit MS Security Essential"?

"64 bit MS Security Essential" is a security software developed by Microsoft specifically for 64-bit operating systems. It helps protect your computer from viruses, malware, and other online threats.

2. How is "64 bit MS Security Essential" different from other security software?

Unlike other security software, "64 bit MS Security Essential" is specifically designed for 64-bit systems and utilizes Microsoft's own security technology to provide comprehensive protection.

3. Is "64 bit MS Security Essential" free to use?

Yes, "64 bit MS Security Essential" is free to download and use for personal and non-commercial purposes. However, businesses and organizations may need to purchase a license for commercial use.

4. What are the system requirements for "64 bit MS Security Essential"?

The minimum system requirements for "64 bit MS Security Essential" are: a 64-bit operating system, 1GB of RAM, 2GB of available hard disk space, and a processor with a clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher.

5. Does "64 bit MS Security Essential" provide real-time protection?

Yes, "64 bit MS Security Essential" offers real-time protection by constantly monitoring your computer for potential threats and blocking them before they can cause harm. It also provides regular updates to ensure the latest protection against emerging threats.