Register to reply

Cosmic simulation software

by rmfw
Tags: cosmic, simulation, software
Share this thread:
rmfw
Mar28-14, 11:21 AM
P: 53
Hey, does anyone know what software is used on the astrophysics videos made by NASA? Or similar modeling software where I can play around a bit creating solar systems and stuff like that? Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chandra X-ray Observatory finds planet that makes star act deceptively old
Astronomers release most detailed catalogue ever made of the visible Milky Way
Planets with oddball orbits like Mercury could host life
Chronos
Mar28-14, 12:43 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,488
Here is one that may be appropriate at https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/my-solar-system. NASA also has one for the solar system that can be accessed at http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/faq.html. Making a movie is a bit more complicated. It typically requires numerical simulations which demand require significant computing resources.
Bandersnatch
Mar28-14, 12:52 PM
P: 740
I hear Universe Sandbox is a nice toy that might suit your needs. It was just a few dollars on Steam last time I checked.

Drakkith
Mar28-14, 04:15 PM
Mentor
P: 12,005
Cosmic simulation software

Quote Quote by Bandersnatch View Post
I hear Universe Sandbox is a nice toy that might suit your needs. It was just a few dollars on Steam last time I checked.
I have this and I highly recommend it. It's easy to use and has a lot of interesting scenarios built in. (Like showing what would happen to Saturn's rings if Uranus or Neptune got really, really close)
rmfw
Mar28-14, 05:14 PM
P: 53
Thanks, I'v installed Universe Sandbox and it's really cool .

Register to reply