Register to reply

Solving trusses with the Direct Stiffness Method

by Diego Saenz
Tags: method, solving, stiffness, trusses
Share this thread:
Diego Saenz
Mar28-14, 12:34 PM
P: 5
I'm creating a computer implementation to solve planar trusses. And I'm not sure how to check if the truss is solvable or not. Can you help me with that?

In my implementation, the trusses are created randomly (needs to be this way), so i get a lot of unstable or indeterminate trusses. I want to discard bad trusses without calculating the determinant of the stiffness matrix or trying to solve them.

Is this condition enough to discard such trusses? If I filter the trusses with this criteria, will i lose some good ones? ----> 2j = m+r

j - number of joints
m - number of members
r - number of reactions

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
nvn
Mar28-14, 04:54 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,124
Quote Quote by Diego Saenz View Post
If I filter the trusses with this criterion, will I lose some good ones? ----> 2j = m+r
Diego Saenz: Yes, you would lose some good ones. Instead, discard only the trusses having 2*j > m + r. Keep the trusses having 2*j ≤ m + r.

Register to reply