Register to reply

Solving exponential equations with x as the exponent

by Tyrion101
Tags: equations, exponent, exponential, solving
Share this thread:
Tyrion101
Mar30-14, 02:38 PM
P: 147
My confusion comes from basic exponent rules and whether or not both sides of an equation have to have the same level of exponent, when you reduce the base for solving. If one side can have an exponent of 3, does the other side also have to be reduced to something that would also have an exponent of 3? 9^2 does equal 81, but is that wrong if the other side can be reduced to a 3rd power, and can't be for a 2nd? I hope I'm making sense.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Mark44
Mar30-14, 02:48 PM
Mentor
P: 21,215
Quote Quote by Tyrion101 View Post
My confusion comes from basic exponent rules and whether or not both sides of an equation have to have the same level of exponent, when you reduce the base for solving. If one side can have an exponent of 3, does the other side also have to be reduced to something that would also have an exponent of 3? 9^2 does equal 81, but is that wrong if the other side can be reduced to a 3rd power, and can't be for a 2nd? I hope I'm making sense.
The exponents don't have to be the same, but the bases have to be the same if you're using this idea: am = an ##\Rightarrow## m = n.
Tyrion101
Mar30-14, 02:50 PM
P: 147
Ok I think I understand

1MileCrash
Mar30-14, 05:23 PM
P: 1,289
Solving exponential equations with x as the exponent

Just to nit pick, that is true when a =\= 1 and a =\= 0.

Register to reply