by Astronuc
Tags: evo, garden, gardening, grow
Share this thread:
turbo
Jun26-12, 01:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
I hear that people have been trading pepper seeds.....
I got lots of Ghost seeds from Rhody. I gave them to my young (periodic) neighbor from Mass and she sprouted them and started them with heat-mats and grow-lights. Unfortunately, it has been so cold and damp for so long here, that the chilies are doing nothing. Maybe she is having some success with her garden in south Boston, but I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks to ask.
NeoDevin
Jun26-12, 11:19 AM
P: 687
I got some ghost seeds from Rhody as well. I haven't planted all of them yet. Of the 15 or so I planted, I got 8 plants, of which 3 seem to be doing well, with the other 5 struggling. I'm not using heat mats or grow lights. They can't survive outside here though, the days are too hot and they get sunburned, and the nights are too cold. I expected that the nights here would be too cold, but I didn't expect the plants to have trouble in the day here.

One of them looks like it's about to have some flowers, so maybe I'll get a pepper or two out of them yet.
turbo
Jun26-12, 12:04 PM
PF Gold
She has an automatic watering system for her (Maine) garden, and my wife and I look after it, depending on the weather. Needless to say, we have had to shut that off. If her place in south Boston has not been hit by all these storms, we may still have some ghosts - she will share.
Evo
Jun26-12, 12:20 PM
Mentor
P: 26,550
My ghost pepper blooms like crazy, but peppers never set. The jalapenos are covered in peppers, but the ghost still hasn't produced, now that the weather is getting hot, I guess I'll have to wait until fall. I keep them where they only get early morning sun, then shade the rest of the day.

Here's a good discussion from people growing them.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...017648.html?15
turbo
Jun26-12, 12:31 PM
PF Gold
I put my ghosts in pots out on the back deck so they can get heat and sun and let the eaves protect them from the excessive rain. It hasn't helped. They are still tiny. I really hope my neighbor has success with hers down in south Boston.

It's funny. All the old biker-buddies that used to come up every summer to tent out, party and ride were from Quincy, Weymouth, and Brockton, and she lives right in the middle of that sprawl, and would love to move here.
turbo
Jun26-12, 05:49 PM
PF Gold
I need healthy ghosts! Want some mature peppers with viable seeds. I hope my (occasional) neighbor has some luck with that down in Mass. Her garden and mine (here) have been drenched and cold. Lots of stuff is struggling.
turbo
Jun26-12, 06:49 PM
PF Gold
BTW, if anybody here has a garden, you deserve to treat yourself to a scuffle-hoe (also known as a stirrup-hoe). It cuts weeds on the fore-stroke and back-stroke. The best weeding tool ever. My wife took mine up to my neighbor so she could give it a try, and that same afternoon her husband was at the garden-supply place buying one for her. I'll bet even money that he bought her two - one for here and one for south-Boston. they are great tools.
ZapperZ
Jun27-12, 10:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Besides the garden all in full bloom or about the bloom right now, my indoor garden is also joining in the fun. In particular, my orchids all decided to bloom at the same time.

This first one I got as a gift. It came in a Styrofoam coffee cup with just two small leaves. And look at it now!

This is Freckles. She has been with me for a while, and you may have seen her before. She blooms every year with these gorgeous, purple freckles, thus, the name I gave to her.

The last one is Purple. She is also a long-time resident and blooms every year. However, she tends to go a bit out-of-hand, such as this time. She sprang 3 different flowering shoots, and they all went in different directions. It was hard to control, and not wanting to break the stems, I decided to just let her be. This year, she has certainly outdone herself and produced the largest number of flowers ever.

She is so big and spread-out, when I give her a bath in my kitchen sink, she tends to just occupy everything.

Oh, did I ever tell you that I treat these orchids as if they're my kids? :)

Zz.
turbo
Jun27-12, 11:10 AM
PF Gold
Lovely flowers! Our cabin has small windows with overhanging eaves, so we don't have much luck with flowering plants.
Andre
Jun27-12, 11:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
Besides the garden all in full bloom or about the bloom right now, my indoor garden is also joining in the fun. In particular, my orchids all decided to bloom at the same time.
Looks good for sure. Maybe that it could have been even better if some practical tips were followed.
turbo
Jun27-12, 11:50 AM
PF Gold
My vegetable garden is dying in stages. Another cold, wet day today. We replanted cukes and squash again recently, and those seeds will likely rot in the ground. Only the garlic (planted last fall) and the peas are doing OK. It's getting late in the season to justify replanting things like buttercup squash that need a long growing season.
turbo
Jun27-12, 12:27 PM
PF Gold
Has anybody seen this? I don't know what kind of garlic those thieves stole, but decent hardneck garlic brings several dollar/lb. I try to save all mine to get other growers started and for a reliable winter supply for cooking, but my neighbor grows a whole let extra and sells it roadside for $5/lb. ~$37,000 seems a "bit" low.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-5-suspe...135739139.html
Evo
Jun27-12, 01:00 PM
Mentor
P: 26,550
Wow Zz, those are the best I've ever seen and I went to an orchid farm in Thailand!
fuzzyfelt
Jun27-12, 05:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 742
Amazing orchid display, Zz!
ZapperZ
Jun27-12, 05:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Thank you, thank you. I love them too. They have been blooming for more than a month now.

Zz.
Ouabache
Jun28-12, 02:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,326
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
BTW, if anybody here has a garden, you deserve to treat yourself to a scuffle-hoe (also known as a stirrup-hoe).
We have one of those in the garden & tried if a few times.
Guess I never got the hang of it though. I prefer a standard hoe.

I recently side dressed rhubarb with chicken manure. I wasn't sure if it might
burn them. Seems the manure was aged enough, the rhubarb are leafing out like
crazy!

Edible podded peas are bearing like crazy right now. And garlic scapes were a
fine addition to the picnic barbeque. Squash & cukes are coming along
fine. Just waiting on more summery weather. Kale & chard are also leafing out nicely.

Our plums had a fair amount of black knot on them this year.
The cool damp weather encouraged spread of the fungus.
I pruned out as many black knots as I could find. Hope the trees will bounce back.
turbo
Jun28-12, 06:42 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ouabache View Post
We have one of those in the garden & tried if a few times.
Guess I never got the hang of it though. I prefer a standard hoe.

I recently side dressed rhubarb with chicken manure. I wasn't sure if it might
burn them. Seems the manure was aged enough, the rhubarb are leafing out like
crazy!

Edible podded peas are bearing like crazy right now. And garlic scapes were a
fine addition to the picnic barbeque. Squash & cukes are coming along
fine. Just waiting on more summery weather. Kale & chard are also leafing out nicely.

Our plums had a fair amount of black knot on them this year.
The cool damp weather encouraged spread of the fungus.
I pruned out as many black knots as I could find. Hope the trees will bounce back.
About the scuffle-hoe: you have to get the hang of it. Then it will be your favorite weeding tool. The head pivots so that the forward edge cuts weeds on the forward stroke and the rear edge cuts on the backstroke. I tend to use mine while walking backward so that the weeds remain on top of the soil to be dried out, and I don't stomp them back into the dirt to get another foothold. Take your time, and you might learn to love that weeding tool.

Scapes are coming in rapidly, and are becoming more popular around here, as people figure out how to use them. I just give them away, showing people how to use the tender bases of the scapes and toss the tough tops. If people like green onions and garlic, they can get both flavors with scapes. My dog loves them, but I limit his intake quite strictly because onions and garlic can cause problems.

My plum trees and peach tree seem to be doing well. I'd love to have some warm, dry, sunny weather for a while. We are alternating between cold/rainy and too hot. The peaches are hanging tough, and it would be nice to get a good crop this year.
rhody
Jun28-12, 04:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Beautiful orchids, Zz, you are surely a master in growing them, too bad their beauty never lasts long, I could look at them in that state all year long.

I thought I would post a few updates from my garden and pots.

The first picture is of 23 sweet peppers, doing nicely, followed by bhuts and trinidad scorpions in flower and beginning to pod.

Does anybody miss me ? lol.

Rhody...

Register to reply