Zero dipole moment in stationary state?

by paulzhen
Tags: dipole, moment, state, stationary
Share this thread:
paulzhen
Apr2-14, 08:32 AM
P: 23
P.W. Anderson in his essay "more is different" said that:

"no stationary state of a system has an electric dipole moment". He used an example of NH3 to illustrate that. I then checked online and found that, Chemists said there is dipole moment in NH3 molecule, but (nuclear) physicists claim it is zero. Any one could help me to understand this?

Here is a link to Anderson's essay:
http://robotics.cs.tamu.edu/dshell/c..._different.pdf

Thanks!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
Bill_K
Apr2-14, 09:41 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Quote Quote by paulzhen View Post
P.W. Anderson in his essay "more is different" said that:

"no stationary state of a system has an electric dipole moment". He used an example of NH3 to illustrate that. I then checked online and found that, Chemists said there is dipole moment in NH3 molecule, but (nuclear) physicists claim it is zero. Any one could help me to understand this?

Here is a link to Anderson's essay:
http://robotics.cs.tamu.edu/dshell/c..._different.pdf
The essay doesn't seem to be publically accessible, but the correct statement is

"no stationary state of a system" with a well-defined parity "has an electric dipole moment"

That is, the system must be symmetrical under reflection. The NH3 molecule clearly is not.

The statement needs to be qualified even for fundamental particles. CP-violating effects will produce electric dipole moments. Experiments are under way to detect and measure the electric dipole moment of the neutron. The Standard Model predicts an extremely small but nonzero electric dipole moment for the neutron, while larger values are predicted by other theories such as supersymmetry.

Register to reply