Why can't I open java applets on my computer?

• Java
  • Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, I can't open the java applets from the website I found, and my computer becomes as slow as a snail when I try to open any applet. I tried restarting my computer, clearing the cache, and updating my Java, but nothing worked. I think it may be time to format my computer.
adjacent
Gold Member
Can't open java applets :(

I just visited thishttp://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/Balloon2.html and found that I can't open the java applet.
I encountered this:
attachment.php?attachmentid=68370&stc=1&d=1396792321.png

Then I tried opening applets from other websites and tried using firefox.This is the result from firefox and chrome.
attachment.php?attachmentid=68371&stc=1&d=1396792459.png

From where can I change that security setting? I have searched Google but could not find an answer.
I am using java 7 update 51

Attachments

• fgfg.PNG
    fgfg.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 731
  • gyt.PNG
    gyt.PNG
    2 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
I just put the security level to medium:
attachment.php?attachmentid=68372&stc=1&d=1396793140.png

Then I found out the my computer becomes as slow as a snail when I open any applet.And I get a white screen. :grumpy:

Attachments

• tyu.PNG
    tyu.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
First thing to try - restart the machine.

Attachments

• clearJavaCache.jpg
    clearJavaCache.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 666
Microsoft and Apple have been in a war with Oracle and Adobe over who causes viruses. Microsoft and Apple inevitably win these battles because the operating system can block versions of Java, Flash, and Acrobat that the authors of the OS think are a conduit for viruses.

Update your Java.

Routaran said:
Step 3: Do what adjacent suggested and also clear the java cache by following the steps in my screenshot and try again. (Start>Control Pannel>Java)
:rofl: Can't stop laughing.I am adjacent and also the OP :wink:
I have cleared the cache and nothing works.

D H said:
Update your Java.
But Java 7 update 51 IS the latest versionCan you check if it works for you?If so,which version of java and chrome/firefox are you using?

Last edited:
LoL oops! Kinda got used to you posting solutions, assumed someone else posted the question :)
But I really should read names more carefully

Yep, the applet worked for me fine. I'm running Chrome and it asked me twice if I wanted to allow the java application to run, I allowed it both times. The security settings must be what's causing the issue here.

jump into your java settings again. Under the Security tab, add the website address as an exception
Then go into the advanced tab
Ensure that the following are checked

Default Java for browsers: Mozilla Family
Java Plugin: Enable the next-generation...
Application Installation: Install if hinted
Secure Execution Environment: Everything on except for Show site certificate from server...
Mixed Code: Enable - show warning if needed
Advanced Security Settings: Everything on execpt Use SSL 2.0, TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2 (This will be the same as the browser settings generally)

Restart your browser and try again. Also give IE a go and see what it does.

Likes 1 person
Routaran said:
Yep, the applet worked for me fine. I'm running Chrome and it asked me twice if I wanted to allow the java application to run, I allowed it both times. The security settings must be what's causing the issue here.

Restart your browser and try again. Also give IE a go and see what it does.

I did what you said. It still does not work.(The simpler version works ).
Which java and chrome version are you using?
EDIT:Can you check if you have some other java thing installed?(Like adobe flash player?)

IE doesn't even load webpages correctly.
Your browser does not support Java, or Java is not enabled. Sorry!
It's been 5 years since I left IE.

Last edited:
Chrome: Version 33.0.1750.154 m
Java: Version 7 Update 51 (build 1.7.0_51-b13)

I would uninstall Java, rename /program files (x86)/java to /program files (x86)/java_old or something
reboot
then download and reinstall the latest update.
again, reset Firefox and blow out all the cache from java and try again.
oh and while you're at it, reset IE as well. Browsers sometimes share some settings.

if that still doesn't work, then there may be something up with your user profile.
I would try creating a temp profile, logging into that and checking what happens there.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Routaran said:
Chrome: Version 33.0.1750.154 m
Java: Version 7 Update 51 (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
I have exactly the same version of both java and chrome .
Routaran said:
I would uninstall Java, rename /program files (x86)/java to /program files (x86)/java_old or something
reboot
then download and reinstall the latest update.
again, reset Firefox and blow out all the cache from java and try again.
oh and while you're at it, reset IE as well. Browsers sometimes share some settings.

if that still doesn't work, then there may be something up with your user profile.
I would try creating a temp profile, logging into that and checking what happens there.
Nothing worked.
I think it's time to format my computer :wink:

Nuke and Pave!

1. Why can't I open Java applets on my computer?

There are a few potential reasons why you may not be able to open Java applets on your computer. It could be due to outdated Java software, browser compatibility issues, or security settings preventing the applet from running. It's also possible that the applet itself is no longer supported or has been removed from the webpage.

2. How do I update my Java software?

To update your Java software, you can go to the official Java website and download the latest version. You can also check for updates directly from your computer's control panel or settings. Make sure to uninstall any older versions of Java before installing the new one to avoid conflicts.

3. Are there any alternative ways to open Java applets?

Yes, there are alternative ways to open Java applets on your computer. You can try using a different browser, as some browsers may have better compatibility with Java. Another option is to enable Java in your browser settings or use a Java-specific browser extension.

4. How do I know if Java is enabled in my browser?

To check if Java is enabled in your browser, you can go to the Java test page on the official website. If Java is enabled, you will see a message saying "Congratulations! Your Java is working." If not, you can follow the instructions provided to enable Java in your browser.

5. Is it safe to enable Java in my browser?

Enabling Java in your browser can potentially make your computer more vulnerable to security threats. It is important to only enable Java on trusted websites and keep your Java software up to date to minimize these risks. It is also recommended to disable Java when not in use to further reduce the chances of encountering security issues.