Why are exited states of an Isotope metastable?

In summary, the excited state of a isotope is metastable because it has a large spin and therefore the final states they decay to have to be excited. This reduces the amount of energy gain.
kuecken
Why are exited states of an Isotope metastable? Is it because they have a large spin and therefore the final states they decay to have to be excited as well? And therefore they have less energy gain?
I am thinking about 116 In (the 1+ and 5+ state) both can undergo a β- decay.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert but I think the reason is that if a decay involves a large spin change, then to conserve angular momentum the nucleon has to be at some distance from the centre, in fact outside the nucleus.
And it doesn't spend much time out there, leading to a low probability of decay. This applies to both beta and gamma.

Unless anyone has a better theory.

Most of the excited states are not metastable. Large spin differences are a common reason for long lifetimes, they make transitions very unlikely as they need higher orders of the electromagnetic interaction.
kjhskj75 said:
I'm not an expert but I think the reason is that if a decay involves a large spin change, then to conserve angular momentum the nucleon has to be at some distance from the centre, in fact outside the nucleus.
That does not make sense.

mfb said:
That does not make sense.

Sorry, what I was trying to say was this:

In the O.P.'s example of the first excited state of 116In, which normally emits a ##\gamma## with energy 127.267 keV or 1.039##\times##10-14 Joules

Such a photon has a momentum of E/c or 6.8##\times##10-23 kg m2 s-2

Since this state has J=5 and decays to one of J=1, it has to lose 4 units of angular momentum, and the photon can only carry off 1, and as (orbital angular momentum) ##L = r \times p##, then the emission must be at a point at least L/p = 4.65##\times##10-12 m from the centre of the nucleus.

Given that the nucleus has radius roughly 1.5##\times##10-15 m times the cube root of the mass number, say 7##\times##10-15 m. This means that the nucleon that decays must be considerably outside the normal boundary of the nucleus, and because the probability of it being that far out is extremely low, the half-life is quite long. Longer than the beta decay half-life of the unexcited nucleus, which has to lose only 1 unit of spin to become 116Sn (J=0).

The same applies to a beta decay for the excited state, (I don't have the figures for that), but again the large delta-J would tend to suppress it, since an electron and antineutrino together can only carry off one unit of J.

Have I got this right ?

Last edited:
The decay is an effect of the whole nucleus (as the nucleons all interact with each other), but I agree with the basic concept.

1. Why are exited states of an Isotope metastable?

Metastable states of isotopes occur when the nucleus is in an excited energy state and has a longer lifetime than expected. This stability is often due to quantum mechanical effects, which prevent the nucleus from decaying into a lower energy state.

2. What causes an Isotope to become metastable?

There are a few different factors that can cause an isotope to become metastable. One common cause is a mismatch between the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, which leads to a higher energy state. Other factors include the spin of the nucleus and the arrangement of the nucleons within the nucleus.

3. Can metastable states of isotopes be observed in nature?

Yes, metastable states of isotopes can be observed in nature. In fact, there are several naturally occurring isotopes that have metastable states, such as technetium-99m and uranium-235. These isotopes are often used in medical imaging and nuclear power, respectively.

4. How are metastable states of isotopes created in a laboratory?

Metastable states of isotopes can be created in a laboratory through various methods, such as bombarding a stable isotope with high-energy particles or using a nuclear reactor. These processes can cause the nucleus to become excited and enter a metastable state.

5. How long do metastable states of isotopes last?

This can vary depending on the specific isotope and its energy state. Some metastable states can last for a few microseconds, while others can last for hours or even days. The length of time a metastable state lasts is determined by the energy difference between the excited state and the ground state of the nucleus.