Cs_mosfet Amplifier Troubleshooting

• Thread starter pforpashya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, the speaker is studying a cs_mosfet amplifier and has simulated one with specific values for VDD, Vs, ID, gm, and Vd. The simulated gain matches the calculated gain, but when using hardware, the gain is much lower. They have tried different capacitors and are unsure of the mistake. They also ask for help with attaching a file and verifying the correct MOSFET, resistor, and DC operating point. They also mention verifying the gm and finding the K-factor.
pforpashya
Hi all,

I am studying cs_mosfet amplifier and i have simulate one simple amplifier with VDD=+12v Vs=1v ID=0.5mA gm=1mA/v Vd=6v. I am getting a signal that is amplified by gain -11.3 by calculation and also on simulation but when doing on hardware i am getting gain around -40 to -45
I am using Bs 170 mosfet.

I have tried various combination of capacitors but still gain comes around -40...can anybody suggest me where is the mistake?

Engineering news on Phys.org
can anybody tell me how to attach file here?

How can you be sure that your real MOSFET Bs170 will indeed have gm = 1m?
Do know how to measure Vgs(th) and how you can find K - factor ?

PS Go advanced ---> Attach Files

Last edited:
Can you verify you are using the correct transistor?

Can you verify you are using the correct resistor?

Have you verified the DC operating point?

As a fellow scientist, I would first like to commend you on your research and experimentation with the cs_mosfet amplifier. Troubleshooting can be a challenging process, but it is an important part of the scientific method and can lead to valuable insights and discoveries.

In regards to the issue you are experiencing with the gain being lower on hardware compared to simulation, there are a few potential factors that could be causing this discrepancy. One possibility could be variations in the components used in the hardware setup compared to the simulated setup. Even small differences in component specifications or tolerances can have a significant impact on the performance of the amplifier.

Another factor to consider could be the circuit layout and wiring. It is important to ensure that the circuit is properly assembled and that all connections are secure and free from interference. Any stray capacitance or inductance in the circuit could also affect the gain and overall performance of the amplifier.

I would also suggest checking the biasing of the Bs 170 mosfet and ensuring that it is within the desired range for optimal performance. Additionally, it may be helpful to review the datasheet for the mosfet to ensure that it is being used correctly and within its specifications.

Overall, troubleshooting can be a process of trial and error, and it may require some patience and perseverance to identify and resolve the issue. I would recommend carefully reviewing all components, connections, and biasing in your hardware setup and comparing them to your simulation to pinpoint any potential differences or errors. Best of luck in your troubleshooting process and I hope you are able to find a solution to your issue.

1. What is a Cs_mosfet amplifier and how does it work?

A Cs_mosfet amplifier is a type of electronic amplifier that uses complementary symmetry metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors (Cs_mosfets) to amplify an electrical signal. Cs_mosfets are composed of a metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) and a complementary pair of N-channel and P-channel transistors. The Cs_mosfet amplifier works by using these transistors to control the flow of current and amplify the input signal.

2. What are some common issues that can occur with Cs_mosfet amplifiers?

Some common issues that can occur with Cs_mosfet amplifiers include distortion or noise in the output signal, overheating, and complete failure of the amplifier. These issues can be caused by faulty components, incorrect wiring, or improper use of the amplifier.

3. How can I troubleshoot a Cs_mosfet amplifier?

To troubleshoot a Cs_mosfet amplifier, you can start by checking all the connections and ensuring that they are secure. If the amplifier is overheating, make sure that it is not being used beyond its power or temperature limits. If there is distortion or noise in the output signal, check the input signal source and make sure that it is clean and strong. You can also perform a visual inspection of the amplifier to check for any burnt or damaged components.

4. Can I repair a faulty Cs_mosfet amplifier?

In most cases, Cs_mosfet amplifiers can be repaired if the issue is not too severe. This may involve replacing faulty components or re-soldering connections. However, if the amplifier is completely burnt out or damaged, it may not be repairable and will need to be replaced.

5. How can I prevent issues with my Cs_mosfet amplifier?

To prevent issues with your Cs_mosfet amplifier, it is important to use it within its specified power and temperature limits. Make sure to also use high-quality components and follow proper wiring and installation techniques. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to prevent issues and extend the lifespan of your amplifier.