'Worst drugs' - trying to find a page

• Thread starter oneamp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary, melarsoprol is a chemotherapy drug that is used against nausea and to alleviate morning sickness in pregnant women.
oneamp
'Worst drugs' -- trying to find a page

I remember reading a web page (maybe several pages on wikipedia) that talked about
horrible drugs that were used only in extreme circumstances. These drugs had
horrible side effects and perhaps low efficacy. They were rarely used. I remember
an ampule on the WP page. I've tried some search key words such as 'drug of last
resort' and 'worst side effect medicine' and stuff like that, but it all comes up with
top ten list crack cocaine bullcrap.

Can anyone suggest how I can progress in this search?

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
oneamp said:
I remember reading a web page (maybe several pages on wikipedia) that talked about
horrible drugs that were used only in extreme circumstances. These drugs had
horrible side effects and perhaps low efficacy. They were rarely used. I remember
an ampule on the WP page. I've tried some search key words such as 'drug of last
resort' and 'worst side effect medicine' and stuff like that, but it all comes up with
top ten list crack cocaine bullcrap.

Can anyone suggest how I can progress in this search?

Thanks

maybe add -cocaine to the search terms?

How about this. Does anyone know of a particular drug that is very rarely used, is a last resort when it is used, is administered intravenously, and has horrible side-effects, so that one may say that 'the cure is worse than the disease' when discussing it?

Indeed, I think chemotherapy qualifies: the dose is designed to just not kill a person.

Thalidomide maybe?

... used against nausea and to alleviate morning sickness in pregnant women.

1. What makes a drug the "worst"?

A drug can be considered the "worst" for a variety of reasons, such as its potential for addiction, harmful side effects, or high risk of overdose.

2. Are there certain drugs that are universally considered the worst?

While there are some drugs that are commonly recognized as being more dangerous than others, such as heroin and methamphetamine, opinions may vary on what is considered the "worst" drug.

3. How do scientists determine which drugs are the worst?

Scientists use various methods to assess the potential harm and risk associated with different drugs, including analyzing their effects on the human body and studying data on drug-related deaths and emergency room visits.

4. Can a drug be considered "the worst" even if it is legal?

Yes, a drug can still be considered the "worst" even if it is legal, as factors such as its potential for abuse and negative impact on health and society can contribute to its classification as a dangerous drug.

5. Is there a definitive list of the worst drugs?

There is no single definitive list of the worst drugs, as different organizations and experts may have varying opinions based on their own criteria and research. Additionally, new drugs are constantly emerging, making it difficult to have a comprehensive and permanent list.