Undergrad Research - Parabolic Cherenkov Detector

In summary, the speaker is a senior at a lesser known university with a strong academic record in physics but lacking research experience. A professor has offered to provide research experience through a senior capstone course, but resources and experience are limited due to the professor being new. The project is to build a parabolic dish to detect Cherenkov radiation and lightning strikes, but due to funding constraints, they will start with detecting only lightning. The speaker is in charge of the detectors and electronics, but has no experience in computer science or programming and is seeking guidance. They are also open to suggestions for constructing a cheap and effective parabolic reflector. Various resources and experiments related to detecting Cherenkov radiation and lightning are suggested for further reference.
BeBattey
So I'm a senior at a lesser known university, I 'believe' I did very well on my PGRE though I don't have my scores yet, and I've maintained a 3.7 average in my physics courses. The only thing holding me back from admission into a fantastic grad program is my complete lack of research experience! So one of the professors has set up to get me some experience through my senior capstone course, and I want to make sure it goes smoothly and looks fantastic on an application, but we're short on resources and experience, as this is a new professor.

We want to propose an experiment that can detect whether or not lightning strikes are caused by cosmic rays. So what we want to do is build a parabolic dish that can simultaneously detect Cherenkov radiation and lightning strikes. First off we're building a parabolic dish to the dimensions that can allow us to use reasonably priced photodetectors and electronics to detect the Cherenkov radiation, but we're starting out with only detecting lightning for funding reasons.

Here is the issue: I'm delegated to tackle the detectors and electronics behind the dish, and I have no idea where to start. We can't afford photomultiplier tubes and avalanche photodiodes, so it seems we're going with cds cells, and the professor has proposed hooking them up to a raspberry pi, but I really have no experience with computer science/programming so I'm looking for some direction.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to construct a rather cheap but effective parabolic reflector with a radius of about 1.2 meters, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
BeBattey,

You’ve written that your project is to “build a parabolic dish that can simultaneously detect Cherenkov radiation and lightning strikes” and “but we're starting out with only detecting lightning for funding reasons”. Since you are “delegated to tackle the detectors and electronics behind the dish”, will you please specify which optical signals are you referring to.

If you are only seeking to detect only lightning it seems a parabolic reflector isn’t necessary since lightning is so bright.

If you are seeking to detect Cherenkov radiation with the reflector and detector, then please indicate that. There are many experiments already done in this area, so you could use techniques already proven. For example:

http://news.sciencemag.org/space/2013/05/do-cosmic-rays-grease-lightning

“Runaway Breakdown and the Mysteries of Lightning” - Physics Today May 2005, available at:
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~jgladden/phys510/spring06/Gurevich.pdf

“Nova Science Now segment on Lightning” - Aired on PBS October 18, 2005
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/lightning.html

“Air Cherenkov Methods in Cosmic Rays: A Review and Some History” http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0504/0504269.pdf

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Likes 1 person

1. What is an undergrad research project?

An undergrad research project is a research project conducted by undergraduate students, typically with the guidance and supervision of a faculty member. The goal of an undergrad research project is to provide students with hands-on experience in the scientific research process and to contribute new knowledge to the field.

2. What is a Parabolic Cherenkov Detector?

A Parabolic Cherenkov Detector is a type of radiation detector that uses the Cherenkov effect to detect and measure high-energy particles. It consists of a parabolic mirror that focuses the Cherenkov light emitted by the particles onto a photomultiplier tube, which converts the light into an electrical signal that can be analyzed and measured.

3. What is the purpose of using a Parabolic Cherenkov Detector in undergrad research?

The purpose of using a Parabolic Cherenkov Detector in undergrad research is to study high-energy particles and their interactions. It can be used in a variety of experiments and research projects, such as studying cosmic rays, particle accelerators, and other high-energy phenomena.

4. What are the benefits of participating in an undergrad research project on a Parabolic Cherenkov Detector?

Participating in an undergrad research project on a Parabolic Cherenkov Detector can provide students with valuable hands-on experience in experimental physics and data analysis. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as prepare them for future careers in science and research.

5. How can I get involved in an undergrad research project on a Parabolic Cherenkov Detector?

There are several ways to get involved in an undergrad research project on a Parabolic Cherenkov Detector. You can reach out to your university's physics department or faculty members to inquire about available research opportunities. You can also participate in summer research programs or apply for research grants. It is also helpful to have a strong academic background in physics and a passion for scientific research.