Register to reply

Electric drawer opener

by johann1301
Tags: drawer, electric, opener
Share this thread:
johann1301
Apr10-14, 04:34 AM
P: 175
Im planning to build a drawer which can be opened using an electric switch. Ive thought of perhaps using a strong servo to push the drawer, hydraulics or an electromagnet. But i think the simplest and cheapest solution would be to attach a strong magnet on the back of the drawer, and setting up a wire with a high current running through it behind the drawer. This current is controlled by the electric switch. When the current is on there will be a magnetic force acting on the magnet, and thus on the drawer.

I know that the force on the drawer from the wire needs to be about 20N or more. Does anyone know how strong of a magnet i must buy, how high the current must be?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
berkeman
Apr10-14, 11:25 AM
Mentor
P: 41,113
Quote Quote by johann1301 View Post
Im planning to build a drawer which can be opened using an electric switch. Ive thought of perhaps using a strong servo to push the drawer, hydraulics or an electromagnet. But i think the simplest and cheapest solution would be to attach a strong magnet on the back of the drawer, and setting up a wire with a high current running through it behind the drawer. This current is controlled by the electric switch. When the current is on there will be a magnetic force acting on the magnet, and thus on the drawer.

I know that the force on the drawer from the wire needs to be about 20N or more. Does anyone know how strong of a magnet i must buy, how high the current must be?
What do you mean by "open the drawer"? Do you want it to just pop open by a few inches so you can pull it the rest of the way open? Or do you want it to roll all the way out like a CD player drawer?

If just popping open would work, you can use a spring for the last few inches of closing the drawer, and have an electric latch that releases the drawer so the spring pops open a bit.

If you want it to roll all the way out, I'd recommend using a setup like the CD payers use. Pushing a button causes the drawer to roll all the way out, and either pushing the button again or pushing the drawer a little makes it retract back in.

Register to reply