by Tianyou
Tags: coupling, spinorbit
Share this thread:
Tianyou
Apr10-14, 10:23 PM
P: 4
Hello,
I see a Hamiltonian of spin-orbit coupling, it is like this
H=[itex]\frac{1}{2m} \sum_{\alpha} \left( \left( -\partial_{\alpha}^2 - 2i\kappa_{\alpha} \sigma_{\alpha} \partial_{\alpha} \right) + \kappa_{\alpha}^2\right)[/itex]

Here [itex]\hbar = 1. \kappa_{\alpha} [/itex] is the strength of spin-orbit coupling, and [itex] \sigma_{\alpha} (\alpha = x, y, z)[/itex] are Pauli matrices.
Can someone explain to me where this hamiltonian comes from? What is the meaning of each term?
Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
Experiments explain why some liquids are 'fragile' and others are 'strong'
DrDu
Apr11-14, 10:34 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
Where did you see it?
Tianyou
Apr13-14, 09:52 PM
I saw this hamiltonian in an article in arXiv titled "Enhancement of condensate depletion due to spin-orbit coupling".

DrDu
Apr14-14, 01:44 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
Spin-orbit coupling

Next time, it would be kind of you to give either a link or at least a full reference for an article.
The hamiltonian in that article does not coincide completely with the one of your first post.
However, I don't know where it comes from. Did you check the articles they are citing?
To me, it looks rather dubious. Spin 1/2 for bosons? Certainly not as general as they claim it to be.
Tianyou
Apr14-14, 09:13 PM
I am confused for the Spin 1/2 for the bosons before. I checked it and found that in this system there is a pseudo Spin 1/2 states for the bosons.

Register to reply