Register to reply

Conserved charge from Lorentz symmetry

by spookyfish
Tags: charge, conserved, lorentz, symmetry
Share this thread:
spookyfish
Apr11-14, 11:57 AM
P: 53
I am trying to derive the conserved charge from the symmetry of the action under Lorentz transformations, but I am doing something wrong.
Noether's theorem states that the current is
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \delta\phi - T^{\mu \nu}\delta x_\nu
[/tex]
For an infinitesimal Lorentz transformations
[tex]
\Lambda^\mu _\nu = \delta^\mu_\nu +\omega ^\mu_\nu
[/tex]
I get
[tex]\delta x_\nu = \omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma, \quad \delta \phi = -\omega^\mu _\nu x^\nu \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]
This gives
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}(-\omega^\nu _\sigma x^\sigma \partial_\nu \phi) -T^{\mu \nu}\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma
[/tex]
where
[tex]
T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \partial^\nu \phi -\cal L \eta^{\mu \nu}
[/tex]
so
[tex]
J^\mu = -\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma \left(2\frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial^\nu \phi - \cal L \eta^{\mu \nu} \right)
[/tex]
this is "almost" the correct form but I have this factor of 2 which is wrong. I will be happy to know where is my mistake
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
samalkhaiat
Apr11-14, 12:58 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 910
Quote Quote by spookyfish View Post
I am trying to derive the conserved charge from the symmetry of the action under Lorentz transformations, but I am doing something wrong.
Noether's theorem states that the current is
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \delta\phi - T^{\mu \nu}\delta x_\nu
[/tex]
For an infinitesimal Lorentz transformations
[tex]
\Lambda^\mu _\nu = \delta^\mu_\nu +\omega ^\mu_\nu
[/tex]
I get
[tex]\delta x_\nu = \omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma, \quad \delta \phi = -\omega^\mu _\nu x^\nu \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]
This gives
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}(-\omega^\nu _\sigma x^\sigma \partial_\nu \phi) -T^{\mu \nu}\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma
[/tex]
where
[tex]
T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \partial^\nu \phi -\cal L \eta^{\mu \nu}
[/tex]
so
[tex]
J^\mu = -\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma \left(2\frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial^\nu \phi - \cal L \eta^{\mu \nu} \right)
[/tex]
this is "almost" the correct form but I have this factor of 2 which is wrong. I will be happy to know where is my mistake
Exactly what is it that you are doing here? You want to substitute stuff in a formula to get the same formula back?
The general form of Noether current is
[tex]J^{ \mu } = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } \phi ) } \delta \phi + \delta x^{ \mu } \mathcal{L} ,[/tex]
where [itex]\delta \phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( x ) - \phi ( x )[/itex]. When you rewrite the current in terms of the energy momentum tensor, you get
[tex]J^{ \mu } = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } \phi ) } \delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) - T^{ \mu }{}_{ \nu } \delta x^{ \nu } ,[/tex]
where now the variation in the field is given by
[tex]\delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) - \phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( x + \delta x ) - \phi ( x ) .[/tex]
When you expand to 1st order in [itex]\delta x[/itex] you find that the two variations are related by
[tex]\delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) = \delta \phi ( x ) + \delta x^{ \mu } \partial_{ \mu } \phi ( x ) .[/tex]
For scalar field [itex]\delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) = 0[/itex], this implies [itex]J^{ \mu } = -\delta x^{ \nu } T^{ \mu }{}_{ \nu }[/itex].
spookyfish
Apr11-14, 01:23 PM
I understand what you say. How is it then consistent with
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/one.pdf
Eqs. (1.51) and (1.52)?

samalkhaiat
Apr11-14, 01:44 PM
Sci Advisor
Conserved charge from Lorentz symmetry

I understand what you say. How is it then consistent with
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/one.pdf
Eqs. (1.51) and (1.52)?
Very consistent. The field in (1.51) is a scalar field.
[tex]\bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) = \phi ( x ) , \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \delta^{*} \phi = 0 .[/tex]
Use [itex]x = \Lambda^{ - 1 } \bar{ x }[/itex] and rename the coordinates [itex]x[/itex], (i.e. drop the bar from [itex]\bar{ x }[/itex]), you get [itex]\bar{ \phi } ( x ) = \phi ( \Lambda^{ - 1 } x )[/itex]. Now, if you expand this, as they did, you find that [itex]\delta \phi = - \delta x^{ \mu } \partial_{ \mu } \phi[/itex]
spookyfish
Apr11-14, 01:52 PM
but why in my formula you use [itex] \delta^* \phi \equiv \phi'(x')-\phi(x) [/itex] and in the article it is [itex] \delta \phi = \phi'(x) -\phi(x) [/itex]?
samalkhaiat
Apr11-14, 02:04 PM
Sci Advisor
but why in my formula you use [itex] \delta^* \phi \equiv \phi'(x')-\phi(x) [/itex] and in the article it is [itex] \delta \phi = \phi'(x) -\phi(x) [/itex]?
Look at it again. In the article, he uses the current which does not involve T, this is why he used [itex]\delta \phi[/itex]. If you want to start with the form of [itex]J^{ \mu }[/itex] which involves the tensor [itex]T^{ \mu \nu }[/itex], then you must use [itex]\delta^{ * }\phi[/itex], as I explained in my first post.

Register to reply