Register to reply

Doubts about the electron magnetic moment.

by carllacan
Tags: doubts, electron, magnetic, moment
Share this thread:
carllacan
Apr12-14, 03:05 PM
P: 172
Hi.

According to this page and other sources I found the z-component of the electronic magnetic moment is greater than the classically calculated value due to relativistic effects. Which makes me wonder:

1) What about the x and y components? I am completely lost as to why only the z axis is mentioned. I'm thinking that it is assumed that the axis of rotation of the electronand therefore the moment are aligned in that direction and therefore the x and y comps are 0. Am I right?

2) How are relativistic effects sneaking in here? There isn't anything going really fast, which I thought (perhaps naively) was necessary for them to be relevant.

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
mfb
Apr12-14, 04:22 PM
Mentor
P: 11,589
1) What about the x and y components? I am completely lost as to why only the z axis is mentioned. I'm thinking that it is assumed that the axis of rotation of the electronand therefore the moment are aligned in that direction and therefore the x and y comps are 0. Am I right?
Right. The z axis is chosen to be aligned with the spin.
2) How are relativistic effects sneaking in here? There isn't anything going really fast, which I thought (perhaps naively) was necessary for them to be relevant.
To make quantum mechanics compatible with special relativity, you need a different description of electrons - and spin is one result of that different description.
carllacan
Apr12-14, 04:26 PM
P: 172
Does that different description of electrons happen to be the Dirac equation?

mfb
Apr13-14, 03:45 AM
Mentor
P: 11,589
Doubts about the electron magnetic moment.

Sure.

Register to reply