Register to reply

Doubts about the electron magnetic moment.

by carllacan
Tags: doubts, electron, magnetic, moment
Share this thread:
carllacan
Apr12-14, 03:05 PM
P: 172
Hi.

According to this page and other sources I found the z-component of the electronic magnetic moment is greater than the classically calculated value due to relativistic effects. Which makes me wonder:

1) What about the x and y components? I am completely lost as to why only the z axis is mentioned. I'm thinking that it is assumed that the axis of rotation of the electronand therefore the moment are aligned in that direction and therefore the x and y comps are 0. Am I right?

2) How are relativistic effects sneaking in here? There isn't anything going really fast, which I thought (perhaps naively) was necessary for them to be relevant.

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
Scientists characterize carbon for batteries
mfb
Apr12-14, 04:22 PM
Mentor
P: 11,570
1) What about the x and y components? I am completely lost as to why only the z axis is mentioned. I'm thinking that it is assumed that the axis of rotation of the electronand therefore the moment are aligned in that direction and therefore the x and y comps are 0. Am I right?
Right. The z axis is chosen to be aligned with the spin.
2) How are relativistic effects sneaking in here? There isn't anything going really fast, which I thought (perhaps naively) was necessary for them to be relevant.
To make quantum mechanics compatible with special relativity, you need a different description of electrons - and spin is one result of that different description.
carllacan
Apr12-14, 04:26 PM
P: 172
Does that different description of electrons happen to be the Dirac equation?

mfb
Apr13-14, 03:45 AM
Mentor
P: 11,570
Doubts about the electron magnetic moment.

Sure.

Register to reply