Doubts about the electron magnetic moment.

In summary, the conversation discusses the z-component of the electronic magnetic moment, which is found to be greater than the classically calculated value due to relativistic effects. The speaker also raises questions about the x and y components and how relativistic effects come into play in this scenario. The expert explains that the z axis is aligned with the spin, and that a different description of electrons, such as the Dirac equation, is needed to make quantum mechanics compatible with special relativity.
carllacan
Hi.

According to this page and other sources I found the z-component of the electronic magnetic moment is greater than the classically calculated value due to relativistic effects. Which makes me wonder:

1) What about the x and y components? I am completely lost as to why only the z axis is mentioned. I'm thinking that it is assumed that the axis of rotation of the electronand therefore the moment are aligned in that direction and therefore the x and y comps are 0. Am I right?

2) How are relativistic effects sneaking in here? There isn't anything going really fast, which I thought (perhaps naively) was necessary for them to be relevant.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What about the x and y components? I am completely lost as to why only the z axis is mentioned. I'm thinking that it is assumed that the axis of rotation of the electronand therefore the moment are aligned in that direction and therefore the x and y comps are 0. Am I right?
Right. The z axis is chosen to be aligned with the spin.
2) How are relativistic effects sneaking in here? There isn't anything going really fast, which I thought (perhaps naively) was necessary for them to be relevant.
To make quantum mechanics compatible with special relativity, you need a different description of electrons - and spin is one result of that different description.

Does that different description of electrons happen to be the Dirac equation?

Sure.

1. What is the electron magnetic moment?

The electron magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by an electron as it rotates on its axis.

2. Why is there doubt about the electron magnetic moment?

There is doubt about the electron magnetic moment because it does not fit perfectly with our current understanding of quantum mechanics and the standard model of particle physics.

3. How is the electron magnetic moment measured?

The electron magnetic moment is measured using a device called a Penning trap, which uses electric and magnetic fields to trap and measure the frequency of an electron's spin.

4. What is the current accepted value for the electron magnetic moment?

The current accepted value for the electron magnetic moment is called the "g-factor" and has a value of approximately 2.00231930436256.

5. What are the potential implications if the electron magnetic moment is found to be different from the accepted value?

If the electron magnetic moment is found to be different from the accepted value, it could potentially lead to a revision of our understanding of quantum mechanics and the standard model of particle physics. This could also have implications for other areas of physics such as cosmology and astrophysics.