PLC Progamming - How hard is it to learn?

• Thread starter EternusVia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Plc
In summary, PLC programming can be easy to learn on your own, especially if you have prior programming experience. It is important to have access to PLC hardware to practice and to refer to resources such as books or online forums for guidance. Understanding Boolean logic and switch terminology is essential for writing effective ladder logic.
EternusVia
PLC Progamming -- How hard is it to learn?

Hi everyone,

I have an internship this summer and I'm hoping to convince them to let me independently study PLC progamming. How hard is it to pick up on your own?

extra info: I've taking C sharp and C++ progamming classes in college

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
EternusVia said:
Hi everyone,

I have an internship this summer and I'm hoping to convince them to let me independently study PLC progamming. How hard is it to pick up on your own?
What is PLC? The first programming class I ever took (about 40 years ago) was PL/C, which is related to PL/1. I don't believe that anyone is still writing code in these languages.

EternusVia said:

Thanks!

Do a google search for "ladder logic". Knowledge of machine electrical prints would be helpful for you. However, the term PLC (programmable logic controller) may be loosely applied and the actual syntax of the language will vary depending on the manufacturer.

PLC programming is easy to learn, a top level book is "Automating manufacturing systems" with PLC's by Hugh Jacks. Highly worth every penny. You can get some free software for the smart relays with certain companies. Zelio soft 2 is downloadable for free for the Sneider electric website. However the free versions is limited in instructions compared to the full blown main products. I do PLC programming for a living so I can certainly help you with your programming. Automation direct also has an inexpensive product line.

Naturally in the US the top PLC software is AB. WWW.Rockwell.com, there picosoft smart relay programming lanq is fairly inexpensive, however their SLC 500 software runs around 2 grand. You can also study any plc software by downloading the instruction set manuals, however its best to start with an inexpensive smart relay.

In Europe the top lanq is STEP 7 www.Seimens.com, other lanquages is Omrons CX-Programmer. I can't recall Mitsibushi's I've only dealt with the ones I mentioned primarily

Likes CalcNerd
had to dig up the book, another good book is Programmable Controllers
Theory and Implementation by L.A. Bryan, E.A. Bryan

Unless you want to get into Robotics, I would start with those two, but if you want to get started in robotics another Hugh Jack book is Integration and Automation of Manufacturing Systems, though this one is far more extensive in system integration, of which PLC's is merely 1 or two chapters.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69196&stc=1&d=1398748841

here is a code I recently wrote in Zelio soft I printed it as a PDF so you can view it.

It will give you some idea on the relay logic structure, as mentioned every manufacturer of PLC's has its own language, however they are all based on relay ladder logic, or they can use SFC sequential function chart, or FBC function block control. Start with relay logic though

Attachments

• project1.zm2.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,471
Last edited:
Mordred said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69196&stc=1&d=1398748841

here is a code I recently wrote in Zelio soft I printed it as a PDF so you can view it.

It will give you some idea on the relay logic structure, as mentioned every manufacturer of PLC's has its own language, however they are all based on relay ladder logic, or they can use SFC sequential function chart, or FBC function block control. Start with relay logic though

WOW! Thanks for your replies! They were very informative and I do plan on picking up those books. I'll be sure to contact you in the future if I have questions. Are you logged into Physics Forums often

yes, I'm here often. One other piece of advise. relay logic is essentially Boolean expressions. It uses NO and NC contacts. line one on that pdf is the same as , start and (not stop)= (set start latch) notice how start and stop are placed on the same rung.

start--------(not stop)--------------(set start latch),,, used to handle a momentary start switch
for an OR statement

reset-------------------------------------------------------(deactivate start latch)
|
|
stop ----

the layout where one rung is below the other, is how OR statements are performed. The output is always the far right, and can only be set in an assigned column. see rung 7 pump1,pump2 are layed out as an or statement. the full statement is (pump1 or pump2) and (not flow fault)-----run pump

keep in mind I used the label names not the input/output designation, as those are assigned in the tables on this PLC model.

so study switch terminology and the terms normally opened and normally closed, you can pick up several relays to practice physically wiring them up in different and or configurations.

Last edited:
PLC Hardware

EternusVia said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

PLC programming is easier to learn when you have the hardware to use. I know that we get some reconditioned Allen Bradley (Rockwell Automation) PLCs from Tek Supply. The website is at www.tek-supply.com You can get a complete system there and use your laptop. They also have most of the other PLC brands. Also you should check out the site mrplc.com and take advantage of the forums there. There are thousands of experienced members that belong to that site and they are always willing to give advice. Good luck!

lol I haven't been to that site in ages, I tend to go to www.plctalk.net/qanda. Not to say there is any pros and cons between one or the other. Both are as far as I'm concerned are equally good

I have found this link quite informative as they explained quite in detail about PLC programming. http://www.theengineeringprojects.com/2015/01/getting-started-with-plc.html

When I was learning PLC, I just learned how to implement the logic gates, rest is quite simple.

Likes dlgoff
Syed Zain Nasir said:
I have found this link quite informative as they explained quite in detail about PLC programming. http://www.theengineeringprojects.com/2015/01/getting-started-with-plc.html

When I was learning PLC, I just learned how to implement the logic gates, rest is quite simple.
This application from your link is cool; being I'm a home coffee connoisseur.

... I worked on a project in which I have to design a Automated coffee Mixing Machine Using PLC.

Hi
It is really good plan to study PLC programming.
I find some free courses on www.tepergy.com
It was really practical and helpful.
I hope enjoy it

dlgoff said:
This application from your link is cool; being I'm a home coffee connoisseur.

yeah it was quite an exciting project and really enjoyed doing that one with PLC. :)

Likes dlgoff

1. What is a PLC?

A PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) is a digital computer used to automate industrial processes. It is specifically designed to control machinery and perform a wide range of tasks, such as monitoring inputs, making decisions, and controlling outputs.

2. Is PLC programming difficult to learn?

The level of difficulty in learning PLC programming depends on the individual's background and experience. However, with proper training and practice, anyone can learn PLC programming.

3. What skills are required to learn PLC programming?

A basic understanding of electronics and circuits is helpful in learning PLC programming. Knowledge of programming languages, such as ladder logic and structured text, is also necessary. Additionally, problem-solving skills and attention to detail are crucial in programming and troubleshooting PLC systems.

4. How long does it take to learn PLC programming?

The time it takes to learn PLC programming varies depending on the individual's dedication and prior knowledge. With consistent practice and training, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to become proficient in PLC programming.

5. Can I learn PLC programming on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn PLC programming on your own through online resources, books, and tutorials. However, it is recommended to seek formal training or mentorship to gain a deeper understanding and practical experience with PLC programming.