Why does a hub not support full duplex

• Thread starter Godwin Kessy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of full duplex communication using separate send and receive cables, and not relying on whether the repeater broadcasts an income signal. It was suggested that if the hub has separate channels for sending and receiving, full duplex would be possible. The participants also discussed the concept of half-duplex and how hubs function in this mode. A reference link was provided for further explanation.
Godwin Kessy
I believe full duplex is possible due to separate send and receive cables, and not whether the repeater broadcasts any income signal,
So, can we discuss this, I want to agree to my self that if you connect a send and receive cable to the hub, then the hub takes care of the send alone, and hence half duplex,
I believe, if it would have separate channels for sending and recieving, i,e sending cabling are on separate domain with receiving, full duplex would be possible
what do you say guyz, because allnthe above is my suggestion...

Computer science news on Phys.org
This was the way out to understand, why are hubs half-duplex... Incase it is not clear to you guyz...

Likes 1 person

1. Why do some hubs not support full duplex?

Some hubs do not support full duplex because they were designed to only allow for half duplex communication. This means that the hub can only send or receive data at one time, not both simultaneously like in full duplex communication. This design was often used in older hubs and is not as efficient as full duplex.

2. Can a hub be upgraded to support full duplex?

In most cases, no. Hubs are usually designed for a specific type of communication and cannot be upgraded to support full duplex. It is important to check the specifications of a hub before purchasing to ensure it supports full duplex if needed.

3. What is the difference between half duplex and full duplex?

Half duplex communication allows for one-way communication at a time, where only one device can send or receive data. Full duplex communication allows for two-way communication at the same time, allowing for more efficient and faster data transfer.

4. Can full duplex be achieved with a hub?

No, full duplex cannot be achieved with a hub. Hubs are not capable of simultaneous two-way communication, which is necessary for full duplex. Switches or routers are typically used for full duplex communication.

5. How can I tell if my hub supports full duplex?

You can check the specifications of your hub to see if it supports full duplex. If your hub is older and does not support full duplex, you may experience slower data transfer and should consider upgrading to a switch or router that does support full duplex.