Spectrophotometric Reference for Inorganics?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the person is looking for absorbance spectra and extinction coefficients for inorganic substances like potassium and sodium salts, but is only finding this information for biological substances. They are wondering if they are misinterpreting what a spectrophotometer can do and would like to use Beer's Law to calculate concentrations of salts in solution. They are also unsure if sodium chloride can be used with a spectrophotometer and are looking for absorbance spectra for all wavelengths. They are having trouble finding this information and are suggested to try a chemical handbook or look for original research, which may be easier to find for free if it is old.
mishima
I am looking for absorbance spectra and extinction coefficients (molar absorptivities) for common inorganic substances like potassium and sodium salts. I am only finding this information for biological substances.

Am I misinterpreting what the spectrophotometer can do? I would like to, for example, use Beer's Law to calculate concentration of a salt in solution after measuring absorbance with a known extinction coefficient.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Visible?

Does the NaCl solution look colored?

Infrared? UV?

I mean salts in general, like potassium permanganate or copper (II) nitrate. I am unaware if sodium chloride can be used with a spectrophotometer; I was under the impression that some could not.

would like an absorbance spectrum (absorbance vs. wavelength), so all wavelengths. I would have thought this information would be tabulated somewhere, like a chemical handbook, but I am not finding it.

You can try here: http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/

Failing that you should just try to find the original research. It will likely be old which makes it (kind of) easier to find them for free.

I can confirm that spectrophotometry is a commonly used technique for measuring the absorbance spectra and extinction coefficients of inorganic substances. However, the availability of this information may vary depending on the specific substance and its characteristics.

While there may be a larger amount of data available for biological substances, there are also numerous resources that provide absorbance spectra and extinction coefficients for inorganic substances such as potassium and sodium salts. These can be found in scientific databases, textbooks, and research articles.

It is important to note that the use of Beer's Law to calculate concentration from absorbance requires certain assumptions to be met, such as the substance being in a pure solution and the solution being dilute. If these conditions are not met, the calculated concentration may not be accurate.

In summary, spectrophotometry is a valuable tool for studying inorganic substances, and there is likely information available for the substances you are interested in. However, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of using this technique for concentration calculations.

What is spectrophotometric reference for inorganics?

Spectrophotometric reference for inorganics is a scientific method used to measure the concentration of inorganic compounds in a sample by analyzing the absorption or emission of light at specific wavelengths.

What is the importance of using spectrophotometric reference for inorganics?

Spectrophotometric reference for inorganics is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the concentration of inorganic compounds in a sample. This information is crucial in various fields such as environmental monitoring, pharmaceutical development, and chemical analysis.

How does spectrophotometric reference for inorganics work?

Spectrophotometric reference for inorganics works by passing a beam of light through a sample containing inorganic compounds. The compounds will absorb or emit light at specific wavelengths, which can then be measured and used to determine their concentration in the sample.

What types of inorganic compounds can be analyzed using spectrophotometric reference?

Spectrophotometric reference for inorganics can be used to analyze a wide range of inorganic compounds, including metals, metalloids, and non-metals. These compounds can be in various forms such as ions, complexes, and salts.

What are the advantages of using spectrophotometric reference for inorganics?

Some of the advantages of using spectrophotometric reference for inorganics include its high sensitivity, wide range of applicability, and non-destructive nature. It also allows for rapid and accurate analysis of multiple compounds in a single sample, making it a valuable tool for research and analysis.