Average Power of A.C.: Assume Phase Difference Zero?

In summary, power factor is 1.00 for resistive loads and zero for inductors and capacitors. Higher power equipment will have a PF better than 0.8. Small items may have a worse PF but they will only be using small amounts of AC current.
kelvin490
Gold Member
We know that the average power of A.C. is IVcosθ, where I and V are RMS and θ is the phase difference. I would like to ask in common application, such as power of a lamp, computer, fan etc. Can we simply assume the phase difference is zero and get a fairly accurate answer? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sure others with more knowledge in this area will post a better response. Power Factor for switching power supplies that qualify for UL or other certs control the PF so essentially (0 - EDIT, this should be 1) for that one. Incandescent light bulbs are for the most part (0 - EDIT this should be 1) as well. Fans or other motor appliances are probably not. There are/were devices that are sold to view the power factor (watt wizzard I think was one) and other devices that are suppose to compensate to yield lower usage for those devices.

So to answer your question, no I don't think you can assume a power factor of (0 - EDIT this should be 1) because one location may have many fans, or other devices that might cause a 5 - 10% difference. However, if your location is just electronics and lights you might be able to assume PF of (0 - EDIT this should be 1).

Others will chime in and provide a better answer.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
The power factor of a resistive or a perfectly corrected load is 1.00
The PF of a lossless inductor or capacitor is zero.

You can assume that all higher power equipment will have a PF better than 0.8
Very small items may have a worse PF but they will only be using small amounts of AC current.

So you can assume PF is 0.9 +/– 0.1 for any approved electrical product.
You can only assume for filament lamps and resistive element heaters that PF = 1.00

Likes 1 person
Baluncore, thank you. Many years since I used PF remember the concepts, but the number slipped my mind. I should have looked up. Thank you for the correction.

Likes 1 person

I cannot make assumptions without proper data and evidence. The phase difference between current and voltage is a crucial factor in determining the average power of an AC circuit. While it is true that in some common applications such as powering a lamp or a fan, the phase difference may be close to zero, it is not always the case. In more complex circuits, the phase difference can vary and significantly impact the average power calculation.

To ensure accuracy, it is important to measure the phase difference using appropriate instruments. Making assumptions can lead to errors and incorrect calculations. Therefore, it is always recommended to measure and consider the phase difference when calculating the average power of an AC circuit.

1. What is the definition of average power in A.C. circuits?

Average power in A.C. circuits is the amount of power that is used or consumed by a circuit over a period of time. It is a measure of the average rate at which energy is transferred in an alternating current.

2. How is average power calculated in A.C. circuits?

Average power in A.C. circuits is calculated by multiplying the root mean square (RMS) value of the voltage by the RMS value of the current at a given instant. This calculation takes into account both the magnitude and the phase difference of the voltage and current.

3. What is the significance of assuming a zero phase difference in calculating average power of A.C. circuits?

Assuming a zero phase difference means that the voltage and current are in phase, which simplifies the calculation of average power. This assumption is often made in theoretical calculations, but in real-world circuits, there is usually some phase difference between the voltage and current.

4. How does the phase difference affect the average power in A.C. circuits?

The phase difference between the voltage and current can affect the average power in A.C. circuits. If the voltage and current are in phase, the average power will be at its maximum value. However, if there is a phase difference, the average power will be reduced or even become zero if the phase difference is 90 degrees.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding average power in A.C. circuits?

Understanding average power in A.C. circuits is important in various practical applications, such as designing and analyzing electrical systems, calculating energy consumption and cost, and ensuring the safe and efficient operation of electrical devices. It is also crucial in power distribution and transmission systems, where power losses due to phase differences can significantly impact efficiency and cost.