Need a strategy for independently studying physics for molecular bio

In summary: I'm not sure. Electrophoresis is a vast subject, and unless you are already familiar with the theories behind it, I wouldn't recommend diving in too deep.There are many physical chemistry textbooks that are suitable for a beginner. A good place to start is with Atkins "Physical Chemistry".
CYP450
Hello all; I'm in an odd position. I graduated with a degree in molecular biology 2 years ago and now work in a quality control lab for a pharmaceutical manufacturer. My job involves doing things like running gene-amplification reactions for recombinant microorganisms used in drug-production, electrophoretic and spectral analysis of protein and protein assay reaction products, etc. However, I do not understand a lot of core physics concepts behind many of my work functions.

For example; we run mass spectrometry at my job, and though I can operate a MS and read the spectra well, I would like to better understand the mechanisms as to how molecules ionize, how they move through an electromagnetic field, how the detector works etc.

We also do IR, FTIR and UV/Vis spectral analysis, but I would like to better understand how molecules/atoms/subatomic particles and so on respond to light of various wavelengths, associated vibrational changes, mathematical functions and such.

We also use Proton NMR and Electron Spin Resonance Spectroscopy, but I have a very poor grasp of what particle Spin actually is or how it works.

So far, my range of understandin is stuck at the "molecular level." THINK what I want to learn is light and particle physics, but whenever I attempt to learn these topics, I always encounter tons of precedent topics that require lots of time and effort to learn, much of which I'm not even sure if it's related to what I want to learn or if it's worth the effort.

If anyone can recommend any resources or strategies for studying physics for molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmaceutical or biomedical applications, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
CYP450 said:
Hello all; I'm in an odd position. I graduated with a degree in molecular biology 2 years ago and now work in a quality control lab for a pharmaceutical manufacturer. My job involves doing things like running gene-amplification reactions for recombinant microorganisms used in drug-production, electrophoretic and spectral analysis of protein and protein assay reaction products, etc. However, I do not understand a lot of core physics concepts behind many of my work functions.

For example; we run mass spectrometry at my job, and though I can operate a MS and read the spectra well, I would like to better understand the mechanisms as to how molecules ionize, how they move through an electromagnetic field, how the detector works etc.

We also do IR, FTIR and UV/Vis spectral analysis, but I would like to better understand how molecules/atoms/subatomic particles and so on respond to light of various wavelengths, associated vibrational changes, mathematical functions and such.

We also use Proton NMR and Electron Spin Resonance Spectroscopy, but I have a very poor grasp of what particle Spin actually is or how it works.

So far, my range of understandin is stuck at the "molecular level." THINK what I want to learn is light and particle physics, but whenever I attempt to learn these topics, I always encounter tons of precedent topics that require lots of time and effort to learn, much of which I'm not even sure if it's related to what I want to learn or if it's worth the effort.

If anyone can recommend any resources or strategies for studying physics for molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmaceutical or biomedical applications, it would be greatly appreciated.

You want to know the physics behind spectroscopy and molecules so you should study physical chemistry. There are many awesome textbooks on physical chemistry, so check them out.

Physical chemistry includes quantum mechanics and thermodynamics. Quantum mechanics helps explain spectroscopy and the interaction of matter with light. Thermodynamics helps explain chemical and biological reactions.

In order to fully understand these topics, you should be comfortable with mathematics up to multivariable calculus, vector calculus, differential equations, partial differential equations, and complex variables. However, most universities send chemistry majors through physical chemistry courses with only a background in multivariable calculus.EDIT: Once you are comfortable with the concepts in physical chemistry, you could easily understand the concepts of spectroscopy and molecular physics. I recommend brushing up on your math, getting familiar with a physical chemistry textbook, and then find any book on spectroscopy and biophysics. There are also many books on physical biochemistry.

For your needs I recommend undergraduate physical chemistry to start off, as that will introduce you to both the formalism and the applications. Atkins "Physical Chemistry" is a common choice. It is a bit hand wavy though.

If your mathematical background is strong enough, you can think about jumping into a graduate quantum chemistry text like Atkins "Molecular Quantum Mechanics" or Ira Levine's "Quantum Chemistry" as that gives you the full math of quantum mechanics along with the full math of the applications, and doesn't handwave too much.

Mass specs are mostly classical, and an undergraduate EM book should suffice.

For electrophoresis, look at any analytical chemistry book, but for a fundamental physical chemistry understanding, I suggest reading the book "Molecular Driving Forces: Statistical Thermodynamics in Biology and Chemistry". It is a rigorous yet friendly and easy to understand book. I used it instead of my main text for my graduate statistical physics class and it was good enough for everything except quantum statistics. It might not give you the answer to predicting electrophoresis, but you can understand it, and eventually make a model for predicting it.

Mathematically, you should know multivariable calculus, basic concepts of ordinary differential equations and linear algebra (2nd year basic math).

What is the best way to approach studying physics for molecular bio?

The best way to approach studying physics for molecular bio is to first understand the basic concepts and principles of physics, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. Then, you can apply these concepts to the specific topics and applications in molecular bio. It is also important to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills to be able to apply physics principles to real-world scenarios in molecular bio.

How much time should I dedicate to studying physics for molecular bio?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying physics for molecular bio depends on your individual learning style and level of understanding. However, it is generally recommended to allocate a few hours each day, consistently, to review and practice physics concepts, in addition to attending lectures and completing assignments. It is also important to take breaks and pace yourself to avoid burnout.

What resources are available for independently studying physics for molecular bio?

There are many resources available for independently studying physics for molecular bio, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and quizzes, and study guides. You can also join study groups or find a tutor to help with any difficult concepts. Additionally, many universities offer open courseware or MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) for free, which can provide a comprehensive overview of physics for molecular bio.

How can I stay motivated while studying physics for molecular bio independently?

Staying motivated while studying physics for molecular bio independently can be challenging. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals for yourself, such as completing a certain number of practice problems or understanding a specific concept. It can also be helpful to take regular breaks, engage in physical activity or hobbies, and reward yourself for your hard work. Additionally, connecting with other students or mentors who are also studying physics for molecular bio can provide motivation and support.

What are some tips for effectively studying physics for molecular bio on my own?

Some tips for effectively studying physics for molecular bio on your own include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, manageable pieces, making use of visual aids and diagrams, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and practicing problems. It is also important to review and reinforce previously learned concepts regularly, rather than cramming before an exam. Additionally, finding a quiet and distraction-free study space can also aid in effective studying.