Is friction the main factor in determining braking distance?

In summary: And the rules for driving vary with the type of road surface; you drive quite differently on gravel than you would on pavement.
eddywalrus
I was taught that in conditions where there is less friction, such as on icy or wet roads, the braking distance of a car, is less than if the car was traveling in conditions with more friction, such as when the road is rocky or sandy.

Although it makes sense intuitively, I recalled that friction opposes motion and not acceleration. So, for example, when a car travels to the right, and the driver applies the brakes, the car will still travel to the right, but just decelerate until it stops completely. Since friction opposes movement, and the car is still moving to the right when braking, then the direction of the friction force is to the left -- so shouldn't a larger friction force decrease the braking distance?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
eddywalrus said:
I was taught that in conditions where there is less friction, such as on icy or wet roads, the braking distance of a car, is less than if the car was traveling in conditions with more friction, such as when the road is rocky or sandy.
There could be some confusion about sliding friction vs. rolling resistance here.

A.T. said:
There could be some confusion about sliding friction vs. rolling resistance here.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to physics -- could you explain the distinction between the two for me? Thanks.

eddywalrus said:

Although it makes sense intuitively, I recalled that friction opposes motion and not acceleration. So, for example, when a car travels to the right, and the driver applies the brakes, the car will still travel to the right, but just decelerate until it stops completely. Since friction opposes movement, and the car is still moving to the right when braking, then the direction of the friction force is to the left -- so shouldn't a larger friction force decrease the braking distance?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know if you really meant this but the braking distance in ice is Greater than with more friction.

eddywalrus said:

This is most certainly wrong, or wrongly stated.

And the rules for driving vary with the type of road surface; you drive quite differently on gravel than you would on pavement.

What is braking distance?

Braking distance is the distance a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. It is affected by factors such as vehicle speed, road conditions, and the efficiency of the braking system.

What is friction and how does it affect braking distance?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces sliding against each other. In the context of braking distance, friction plays a crucial role as it is the force that allows the brakes to slow down the vehicle by creating a resistance between the brake pads and the rotors or drums.

What factors affect braking distance?

Several factors can affect braking distance, including the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the brakes, the weight of the vehicle, the road surface, and the weather conditions. These factors can increase or decrease the amount of friction between the tires and the road, ultimately affecting the braking distance.

How can I calculate the braking distance of a vehicle?

The braking distance of a vehicle can be calculated using the formula: Braking Distance = (Vehicle Speed * Vehicle Speed) / (2 * Deceleration). Deceleration is the rate at which the vehicle slows down, and it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. It is important to note that this formula provides an estimate and actual braking distance may vary.

What can I do to reduce my vehicle's braking distance?

To reduce the braking distance of a vehicle, you can maintain a safe speed, ensure the brakes are in good condition, and keep a safe distance from other vehicles. Additionally, you can also make sure your tires have good tread and proper inflation, as well as avoid sudden and hard braking. All of these measures can help improve the efficiency of the braking system and reduce the distance it takes for your vehicle to come to a complete stop.