Building a device for RF transmission/detection

In summary: Perhaps somebody with more of that experience could help out more. :)In summary, this biochemist is looking for a device that can be used to transmit a sine wave signal. He needs a DDS to create the initial waveform, a DAC to transmit to the RLC circuit, an LNA to amplify the signal, an ADC to convert the signal to digital, a quadrature circuit to separate the phases, and an I/O board to a computer. Google has been helpful in understanding the components, but he would like to learn more about how they behave when connected. He recommends tutorials/references for the application, including "gqrx" for receiver application and "rfidlock" for
cis-ddp
Hi Physics Forums,

I'm a biochemist whose electronics experience is limited to resonant RLC circuits. I have been tasked with building a device that essentially acts as an RF antenna. In transmit mode, this device must create a sine wave of specific frequency (current plan is 40.05 MHz), convert it to analog, and transmit it to a resonant RLC circuit with sub-ms timing resolution. The device must then use the RLC circuit to listen to an exponentially-decaying sinusoid response signal of similar frequency, amplify the signal, convert to digital, split the signal into quadrature phase waveforms, and output the data to a computer.

So far, I have determined that I will need a DDS to create the initial waveform, DAC to transmit to the RLC circuit, LNA, ADC, quadrature circuit (directional coupler, mixers connected to DDS) to separate the phases, and I/O board to a computer.

Question #1: Given that the device should operate using a preprogrammed sequence so that users can just push 'start' to use, which controller would be most appropriate for the device? I have seen similar devices use FPGAs, but would a microcontroller be easier to use? Do you have a favorite brand or product that you would recommend?

Question #2: As I look for commercial products of the above components, what compatibility issues should I keep in mind? I'm not entirely familiar with the ramifications of choosing particular clock frequencies, operating voltages, or memory.

Question #3: Which tutorials/references would you recommend as being particularly useful in this application? Google has been super helpful with generally understanding the components alone, but I would really like to learn how they behave when connected.

Thank you very much for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the receiver you might want to look at USB dongle-type receivers, the Rafael Micro R820T chip can output a raw I/Q data digital data to a computer over the 24 - 1766 MHz range. GNU Radio can be used (or a custom program with the GNU Radio libraries) to decode almost any RF signal.

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

Receiver application "gqrx" output from a USB dongle "rtl-sdr" at 27mhz.
https://flic.kr/p/dYvm98
http://gqrx.dk/

This sounds like a very complex project for someone without a lot of experience.

Can you repurpose a commercial radio? A lot of RC toys operate at 40 MHz so you might be able to buy a device to do the heavy lifting for you.

Maybe you can start along these lines: http://www.nemhobby.com/xs-6-pro-sport-syn-40-mhz-p31858.html

cis-ddp said:
Hi Physics Forums,

I'm a biochemist whose electronics experience is limited to resonant RLC circuits. I have been tasked with building a device that essentially acts as an RF antenna. In transmit mode, this device must create a sine wave of specific frequency (current plan is 40.05 MHz), convert it to analog, and transmit it to a resonant RLC circuit with sub-ms timing resolution. The device must then use the RLC circuit to listen to an exponentially-decaying sinusoid response signal of similar frequency, amplify the signal, convert to digital, split the signal into quadrature phase waveforms, and output the data to a computer.

So far, I have determined that I will need a DDS to create the initial waveform, DAC to transmit to the RLC circuit, LNA, ADC, quadrature circuit (directional coupler, mixers connected to DDS) to separate the phases, and I/O board to a computer.

Question #1: Given that the device should operate using a preprogrammed sequence so that users can just push 'start' to use, which controller would be most appropriate for the device? I have seen similar devices use FPGAs, but would a microcontroller be easier to use? Do you have a favorite brand or product that you would recommend?

Question #2: As I look for commercial products of the above components, what compatibility issues should I keep in mind? I'm not entirely familiar with the ramifications of choosing particular clock frequencies, operating voltages, or memory.

Question #3: Which tutorials/references would you recommend as being particularly useful in this application? Google has been super helpful with generally understanding the components alone, but I would really like to learn how they behave when connected.

Thank you very much for your help!

Can you say more about the application? Is it for an NMR/MRI device?

Will the EM energy be contained within a shielded room or lab? If not, is 40.05MHz a licensed band? The FCC (for the U.S.) has regulations that govern what energy gets launched in the RF spectrum -- it's very important to understant and abide by those rules, since it's a very bad thing to create unwanted interference with others who are correctly using the RF bands.

@nsaspook Thanks for introducing me to the RTL-SDR. That's a really cool product. Here's an idea for signal throughput in 'detect mode':

RF damped sine wive inductively detected with loop -> LNA -> fixed-frequency transmitter (crystal oscillator?) -> RTL-SDR -> computer

@analogdesign I agree that this will take a lot of work, but my deadline is rather relaxed (about 1.5 years to protoype), and I am very motivated to learn more about RF electronics. Repurposing other devices is an optional, but I want to try piecing it together myself first.

@berkeman Yes! I'm so happy that my description was at least accurate enough for someone to guess that it is an NMR spectrometer. My project is to build a benchtop spectrometer for performance of biochemical assays on low-volume, time-sensitive samples. The design emphasizes convenience and time resolution, but some sensitivity issues are to be expected with low-field NMR.

Edit: And while it will be benchtop operated, I do plan to have the device properly shielded.

Last edited:

1. How does RF transmission work?

RF transmission works by sending electromagnetic waves through the air using a specific frequency. This frequency is determined by the device's antenna and can vary depending on the type of signal being transmitted. The waves travel through the air until they reach the receiver's antenna, where they are then converted into an electrical signal.

2. What are the key components of a device for RF transmission/detection?

The key components of a device for RF transmission/detection include an antenna, a transmitter, a receiver, and a power source. The antenna is responsible for sending and receiving the electromagnetic waves, while the transmitter and receiver work together to convert the waves into electrical signals. The power source provides the necessary energy for the device to function.

3. How do you choose the right frequency for RF transmission/detection?

The frequency for RF transmission/detection is typically chosen based on the specific application and the desired range of the device. Lower frequencies are better for longer range transmission, while higher frequencies are better for shorter range but higher quality transmission. It is important to consider the surrounding environment and potential interference when selecting a frequency.

4. What are some common challenges when building a device for RF transmission/detection?

Some common challenges when building a device for RF transmission/detection include interference from other devices or external sources, signal distortion, and signal loss. These challenges can be addressed through careful design and testing of the device, as well as implementing techniques such as shielding and filtering to reduce interference.

5. How can I ensure the safety of my RF transmission/detection device?

To ensure the safety of your RF transmission/detection device, it is important to follow all safety regulations and guidelines set by relevant governing bodies. This may include proper shielding and grounding of the device, as well as proper labeling and warning signs. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the device to ensure it is functioning properly and safely.